Need Clarification: Do photos and videos look better on the new MBP screen? Mixed reviews!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Everyone knows the new MBP screen is better, but people are saying that pictures and videos that aren't optimized for the new screen won't look better.

I don't want to spend like 1500 bucks then not even notice a difference at the photos and videos I view.

2. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Yes photo look better as the new mbp have a better screen, when I did calibrate my screen I did pin point all of the colors to sRGB and the greyscale was totally amazing correct.
    The contrast is better and also the brightness (cd/m2 aka nits)

I have never never seen a screen as good as this on a Laptop, and never on a apple device either.

But apple is a client to SpectraCal that are leading in the color accrorsy world so.

3. leman macrumors G3

Yes, they look better. And yes, they will look worse than high-quality pictures or videos that take better advantage of the capabilities of the screen (duh).

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Not what people are saying (and it would make more sense to leave the discussion in the place where people are already addressing this). What people have said is that the new screens have better contrast that will be better for all material, but that the wider color space will only be noticed when the source material actually uses it. That will happen more in the future than it does now.

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

GOT IT!

Ok now I understood finally.

That leads to me 1 question...

You can increase contrast under accessbility in Settings...

Can't I just change that and it'd do the same thing?

6. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

No, the display it self have a max contrast it can't bee adjusted to more then max.

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

This was well explained in answer to the same question in your other thread. To put it another way, increasing the contrast setting makes more dark things darker and more light things lighter, pulling them more to the extremes. It doesn't affect the range of dark and light that you're working within, though.

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I'm lost as heck :(

I just used accessbility to make the contrast more and it worked just fine.

I mean I'm not looking to do maximum contrast bc then it looks washed out.

I guess what I'm asking, if the new screen is 15% more contrast out of the box than the previous gen macbook...why can't I just make my screen 15% more contrast through accessbility settings and bam I'm good

9. Sanpete macrumors 68020

The new 15" screen has about a 50% higher contrast ratio. That means the ratio between the brightness of the darkest black and the whitest white is about 50% more than it was for the 2015 model. Adjusting the contrast setting doesn't affect what the maximum contrast is. You'll be able to get higher contrast with the new screen than with the old one, if you adjust them the same ways.

10. jerryk macrumors 68040

Adjusting contrast just changes how fast contrast changes, not how big the range of contrast is. As SanPete says, the new screen has a bigger range.

11. Obagleyfreer macrumors member

If you get one with a uniform screen they're
    Great.
    I calibrated mine with my i1 display pro and got an Average Delta E score of 0.4!!!
    I am VERY impressed.

Can I ask what software you used to calibrate yours?

12. aevan, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Everything will look better because it's a brighter screen (compared to previous MBPs) with better contrast and better colors. Even without P3, Apple makes screen improvements with every generation and even on regular photos, the colors "pop" more. Especially the reds and yellows. Also, on P3 material you can see more nuances with these colors.

However, the improvements are not mind-blowing compared to previous screens. My iMac 5K (from 2014.) doesn't have a P3 screen and neither does my 2013 MBP - and they still look great and really close.

If screen quality is the main reason for you to upgrade - it's probably not a good idea, the difference is small.

But the screen is not meant to be the sole reason to upgrade. Faster, smaller, better build, Touch Bar, USB-C - combined, these things make a compelling reason to buy - and, sure, a slightly better screen. But if you ONLY care about the screen and already have a Retina-screen Mac, there is no reason to get a new one.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    You will not gain detail by increasing the contrast on the old one, the image will just be tone mapped. A screen with larger contrast will be able to show a wider range of detail - in other words, it will look more realistic, as opposed to just making dark things darker and bright things brighter.

In a way it's like saying why do I need a 12Mpix camera when I can use a 6Mpix camera and double the image size in Photoshop?

Still, as I said above, the difference is not huge and you probably won't notice it. Don't buy this expensive computer for the screen improvements alone.

13. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

I use SpectraCal CalMan Euthiast

14. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks! Yeah I was only buying it for the screen. I already have a retina MacBook Pro previous gen.

I don't care much for USB c touch bar or whatever else. Sure lighter and smaller is better but then again I don't care for the new keyboard.

Ok i don't think I'll get it now. You're advice has been very helpful.

15. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

I think the screen improvements are 110% noticeable. How someone could not see the difference doesn't really make sense to me, but I do agree that if the main driver for you to purchase the new models is just for the screen, then it is probably not worth it. Especially if you don't do any design or photo work where that extra detail and crispness is actually important.

16. fs454 macrumors 68000

Even going from a Late 2013 15" rMBP to this one I saw a pretty good difference. It feels more organic, punchy, detailed, and colorful than the last, on top of being a good bit brighter. If you're coming from a 13", you are going to see a really big difference as the 13" was on the dimmer side of Apple displays.

17. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Ahh now I'm confused again :(

Maybe I'll just get one and try it out after all.

I'm looking to spend some dough on something and where better than the Apple store lol so if the new MBP screen is legit better then why not just buy that.

And I mean yeah the new form factor is awesome - smaller foot print lighter and thinner are all great but I wouldn't buy it just for that bc my current 13" rMBP from 2013 is very portable IMO

I'll also sell my current one bc I don't need 2 lol if I like the new one's screen enough to make the switch

18. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

Yeah just bring your current one to the store and try them out side by side. If it seems worth it then go for it!

19. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Someone told me to do that!!!

But I would feel so...awkward...

What do you think?

I want to do it but I mean I would seriously feel REALLY awkward standing there.

20. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Not awkward. You'll see older MBPs in there all over. Mostly for repair, but it doesn't matter. Comparisons are fine, they'll welcome it. Be sure to charge your battery first.

21. SDColorado macrumors 68030

SDColorado

I think you should just that. A sales associate should view that as a sales opportunity and not an inconvenience. if you were serious enough to do a side by side comparison, they should view you as a serious buyer

22. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

Nope not awkward at all. I've seen people bring in surface tablets to compare to iPads so trust me, you'll be fine haha.

23. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok then I might do that. Hopefully nobody looks at me like "What the heck is he doing" lol

24. fs454 macrumors 68000

I see people doing this often, as well as hauling their 27" iMacs in beat up boxes into the Genius Bar. Comparing old vs new is what the Apple Store is there for.

25. Sanpete macrumors 68020