Need clarification of noise issue of MBP 2018

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Nov 4, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 603

Hi, when they came out, there were issues with the thermal and as far as I understand, most of you ended up getting the base model with i5 or lowest possible end i7 CPU and have been happy with it. Recently, when we talk about the noise issue of Thinkpad X1E, some mentioned that the MBP 2018 laptops are also noisy. Am I missing something? I am a bit confused.

2. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I had the 2018 i9. Several of them to be exact. When pushed the fans would definitely ramp up and be fairly noisy. It certainly isn’t unexpected with a 45w 6-core processor in a thin and light notebook. They generate a lot of heat and that heat needs to be evacuated. It should not come as a surprise that the fans have to spin up when the notebook is being worked.

3. leman macrumors G3

There is no difference to any other MBP ever released. Under load, they will get warm, and if you keep them there for longer period of time, they will also get loud.

4. 1096bimu macrumors 6502

1096bimu

There is no difference in terms of thermals between the low and high end processors, it's a retarded myth generated by people who simply can't afford the high end models.