NEED Driver for MAC mini for a Samsung Monitor 2333SW

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by yaroshc, Feb 23, 2009.

1. yaroshc macrumors newbie

Just bought a Samsung 2333SW Monitor and plugged it into my Mac Mini. The screen looks like the monitor was dropped (psychedelic) when the desktop is displayed. It worked fine on my 17" Samsung monitor, but not the 23".
    I exchanged the monitor, and its not the monitor. I was told its the driver on the Mac. I cannot find any driver online for my Mini through Apple, or even at the Samsung sites.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

macs dont need drivers! it will already work out of the box. just plug it in, go to
    • System Preferences
    • Display
    • Hit "Detect Displays"

all done!

4. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

If the color isn't working right, you need to calibrate your monitor, or set it to a correct profile. If that still doesn't help, contact Samsung or double check your cable.

5. elpasi macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy one of these because they're full HD, large and cheap - did you ever find a resolution to this?

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The person who told you that you need a driver is wrong. I bought a Samsung monitor, model number in signature, and it worked by simply plugging it in. If you want to calibrate it, then do so within System Preferences. Or you can choose one of the several preset profiles. But one thing is for sure, you don't ever need a driver for anything on the mac.

7. elpasi macrumors newbie

Am I also right in thinking this monitor would work at full resolution on a mac mini (not current gen but previous (Mid 07)) because:

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

And as far as the internet tells me, I think the mac mini is capable of DVI up to 1920x1200, VGA up to 1920x1080

If so, I'll be ordering it on Monday.

Also, I spotted OSX versions of MagicTune which should help with the computer interacting with the monitor.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes thats fine, the mini will handle that EASILY

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Like many have already posted, drivers aren't necessary for monitors even for Windows. I've purchased many monitors for use with my Windows machine and a driver is needed, you can just calibrate/adjust the monitor manually.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Regards to your other problem, maybe try calibrating the monitor internally? Use the on-board options to adjust the monitor output (X/Y axis or horizontal/vertical axis).

11. Subtract macrumors newbie

Glad I found this thread, I'm keen on buying 5 of these for our office but we all use macbooks. Theres some really good deals but I noticed the screen res only goes up 1280x800 so is there no way of scaling these up?? any advice would be appreciated!

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry but that isnt true.

according to samsung

(http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...e=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS23CMZKFV/ZA)

13. Subtract macrumors newbie

14. Scratchen macrumors newbie

I guess 1280x800 is the highest your current screen will handle. If you plug in a new monitor that can handle a higher resolution, it will become available.

15. Subtract macrumors newbie

mmmm so the question is if i buy this monitor will my mac be able to upscale to 1920x1080, does the monitor change the system preferences as ive been able to hook one up to my Samsung 32" TV and it upscaled fine but this is a totally different resolution.

Just important as dont want to buy 5 of them and find out it doesnt

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

OH i see. yes it will most definately support a 1920x1080 screen. the original MBs with the GMA950 supported a max external screen res of 1920x1080 and there has been a gradual increase in the max output on the MBs since then. i think the current MB can output to 2***x1*** or something crazy (30inch res). apples website tells you all.

17. Subtract macrumors newbie