Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I see that there are several USB-C to Ethernet adapters, but since we only have 1 port that doesn't allow for power. I own the official Apple dongle with HDMI, USB3, and USB-C for power.. Can anyone recommend a USB3 to Ethernet adapter that I can plug into this, or something to achieve my goal?

I had a generic USB3 to Ethernet dongle here already but it doesn't work.

paulopadopa

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I see that there are several USB-C to Ethernet adapters, but since we only have 1 port that doesn't allow for power. I own the official Apple dongle with HDMI, USB3, and USB-C for power.. Can anyone recommend a USB3 to Ethernet adapter that I can plug into this, or something to achieve my goal?

If the USB to Ethernet isn't working it might need a driver. Check the many games threes website. I just got one from ugreen and it needed one. Works great now.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Well I just happened to have one on hand that's branded for Nintendo Switch by Hori. I was hoping it would work driverless, but nope.

Anyone use the official Apple model?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

hqdefault.jpg

I use this product and it's excellent. Not only do you get fast ethernet hard-wired through the USB port but it also serves as a wi-fi router meaning you can share the internet connection with your other devices. This gum-sized product sends out a wireless signal, your other devices will see it as a wi-fi connection.

For me, I'm in Asia 6x a year, most times the ethernet internet is faster and more reliable than the wi-fi is. By plugging this one lightweight dongle into my 12" RMB and the hotel's ethernet cable I can immediately get my iPhone and iPad on the internet without having to enter userid's and passwords each time, it's a private wi-fi network, big time saver.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/WL330NUL/

BJ

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

I use an Inatech combo USB hub/Ethernet port for when I need a wired connection. The odd thing is that it doesn't work with the custom driver from Inatech but does work with the raw driver from the actual manufacturer. I just need to reinstall the driver with every Sierra update since the base driver must be overwriting a system file.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I use this product and it's excellent. Not only do you get fast ethernet hard-wired through the USB port but it also serves as a wi-fi router meaning you can share the internet connection with your other devices. This gum-sized product sends out a wireless signal, your other devices will see it as a wi-fi connection.

For me, I'm in Asia 6x a year, most times the ethernet internet is faster and more reliable than the wi-fi is. By plugging this one lightweight dongle into my 12" RMB and the hotel's ethernet cable I can immediately get my iPhone and iPad on the internet without having to enter userid's and passwords each time, it's a private wi-fi network, big time saver.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/WL330NUL/

BJ

Darn, looks like it pretty much doesn't exist anymore. Looks neat.

Quddy

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2016
Japan
When I bought my Macbook last year I chose to purchase the j5create multi-adapter instead of the official Apple one. More ports, more versatility, and cheaper so win-win. Has been working perfectly all this time including with Windows 10.

I only use it at home, kind of like a docking station to use the Macbook as a desktop:
- USB Type-C: plug into mains
- HDMI: external 1080p monitor (with sound, haven't tested 4K but it supports at 30Hz officially)
- Gigabit ethernet
- USB port 1: USB 3.0 external HDD
- USB port 2: USB 2.0 hub (adapter for wireless mouse, adapter for wireless keyboard, and USB pen drives)

Maybe an option if you are willing to replace the Apple dongle or use both. I bought it in Singapore so I'm not sure if it's available where you are. There are probably alternatives.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.