Need help deciding which path to take to get me to 2012 MBP with Ivy Bridge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aidanc11, Sep 18, 2011.

1. aidanc11 macrumors newbie

Hi, this is the first time iv written on a forum...
    I decided at around april i would love to get a MBP (and iv never had a mac b4) and i started to research it and i originally read that Ivy Bridge was going to b released at the end of the year, and possibly in the new refresh of the MBP. That was amazing.
    However, as the year has gone along, Ivy Bridge now will prob get released nxt yr and in the nxt nxt MBP.

So, my options:
    1) buy the new upgraded one around Xmas time??
    2) Sumhow am able to last until May/June nxt year for the redesign MBP with Ivy Bridge??
    3) Buy upgraded one around October/Nov and then trade it in middle of nxt year and then get new redesign? However, with 3rd option, iv never traded anything in before and wouldnt have a clue where or how? and Also, how much would i get for it (estimate ofcourse) if the MBP is only about 9months or so old??

I'd love all replies because im very stuck atm with what to do. Unfortunately im stuck with a pc lappy atm and it could last until next year but because i really am loving mac's (friends ones and such) and realising how much better they are, its killing me each day knowing i still have my pc. hahaha
    Thank You. :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Based on your post it doesn't sound like you actually need anything that Ivy Bridge would bring to the table. Get one now or wait if you really feel like it - it won't matter. Facebook will still load, and you'll be able to play Farmville just as well as any other Mac user. There is no reason for you to buy one now and then feel obligated to upgrade when Ivy Bridge MBPs come out.

3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    could not agree with you anymore

The only main advantage of ivy-league for my personal needs would be the native usb-3ports - and i bet by that point there would be a battery of cheap ebay express cards/TB adapters that would pop-up taking advatage of the native usb-3 support in OSX.

Since i rarely take this beast (17" MBP ) out of my flat- i think this machine is perfect for my current needs, and it is more than ample for the next few years!

OP: why wait till around march 2012 (6months time)
    IMHO get a 2011 MBP and enjoy !