Need help displaying num. of files/folders column in Finder's list view

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zabalex, Dec 14, 2012.

1. zabalex macrumors newbie

zabalex

Hello,
    I'm new to Mac and trying to learn as much as I can to quickly become productive as I was with my old OS.
    I'm trying to display in a Finder's list view kind of like a custom columns, and if I choose to view in icon-view, I can see how many files in each folder, but I can't do the same with list-view. Using Command+J doesn't have show item info option for list.
    Please advise.

Thank you,

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

View menu > Show Status Bar.

NB: This will list all files shown in List View, i.e. if you open the "triangle" on a sub-folder, the number will go up.

4. zabalex thread starter macrumors newbie

zabalex

Ok, I can assume there is no option by default.
    But do you know of any 3rd party "Finder" app that would have more options, including this one?
    Strange, but on Linux for example, number of files in each directory, if viewed in list-view is on by default.

5. Gregg2, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think the OP wants each sub-folder in a given Finder window in List View to display the number of items within it at a glance without having to click for each one, as you can do in Icon View.

There are Finder enhancement apps, but I don't use one and cannot think of the names of any I've read about. If no one supplies that here, you're stuck with using a search engine to flush one out.

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

No, that's not possible.
    The different Views in the Finder display different information. That's the reason for having different views. If they all displayed the same information, then you would only need one View.

Can I ask the OP: what do you want this information for? Perhaps there is another way of achieving your higher goal.

There are alternative File browser apps instead of the Finder:
    http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/utilities-roundups/5-alternatives-to-the-os-x-finder/

7. zabalex, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

zabalex thread starter macrumors newbie

zabalex

Sorry, got duplicate message. Don't see how I can delete it.
    If this thread is moderated, please remove it. Next message with the screenshot is the correct one.
    Thanks,

8. zabalex thread starter macrumors newbie

zabalex

I'm used to working with large volumes of files and directories full of files. When I sync directory from the web server, the quick way for me to determine if all the files have been downloaded is by comparing the number of files inside the directory.
    This way I can display the list view of higher directories, and the number of files is visible top-down in the right column.
    Linux has a great way to display that info in one location. I am going to review your response - thanks a lot for that, and see if one of those alternative finders will work.

Attached Files:

9. kynam macrumors newbie

Hello, I am the developer of XtraFinder, a Finder enhancement utility. Since you are new to Mac, try XtraFinder.

Displaying folder children count in List view mode is a nice idea, I will try to implement it in the near future.