Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elt7000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2020
I have a Mac mini (late 2012) with 10.13.6. When I bought it eight years ago, I had OWC put in a 240GB SSD and a 1TB SATA internal drive for storage. I have the OS on the SSD and have nothing now on the storage drive. I am recently getting the "your disk is almost full" message daily. The major culprit is my Dropbox folder was installed to the SSD drive and is currently taking up about 80G space on it. I am wanting to move my dropbox file folder from my SSD drive to my Storage drive. My SSD drive is currently APFS but my storage drive is still Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I am thinking I need to convert the storage drive to APFS. Can I do that with Disk Utility with the erase button and choosing APFS? Do i pick "Storage" or "Apple HDD HTS541010A9E662 Media" (see attached images) when doing that? I know just enough to be dangerous so I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and not regret it.

Also I'm wondering if anyone else has had to move their dropbox folder to another internal hard drive (different from the drive the OS is installed on) and had success.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 12.37.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.56.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.56.58 AM.png

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
An easy way to free up space is move your iTunes library off your system disk.
I would keep the hdd as hfs+
I am surprised your Mac even works with so little space free..... :eek:
Can't help with Dropbox sorry, don't use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.