Need help i have heard kaby lake will play 4k netflix but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by esaelias, Feb 14, 2017.

1. esaelias macrumors regular

esaelias

lets say we have a macbook pro 2016 with skylake and dedicated graphics card e.g. 460

why are people so concerned oh kaby lake has some codec which can run 4k netflix but cant my 460 run it aswell?

so i should just wait for kaby lake because it is like 2 percent faster and has this codec in the cpu?

2. kbk75 macrumors regular

The Kaby Lake CPU will be able to decode / encode the 4K stream without needing to use a dGPU so it will be a heck of lot less energy hungry while it does this. This only matters if you're watching / transcoding these videos on battery because, as you said, the Radeon 460 will do the job too. The system will probably run cooler and quieter too, while doing the job on the Kaby vs Skylake CPU, by virtue of the fact that it will not need to use a dGPU.

The benefits of waiting for the 2017 MBP if, in fact, Apple updates the product in 2017 will likely be more than just the 5% speed bump and native Kaby Lake HEVC support. The screen might be an IGZO screen, which will use less power, the batteries may be larger capacity, the entire system will have had a year to mature, so it will likely be less prone to crash, hang and suffer some of the issues 2016 owners, myself included, are facing.

3. leman macrumors 604

As so many things, this is totally blown out of proportion. The fact is that some 4K streaming services do not work without hardware-based DRM solution that is currently only supported in Windows and only by Kaby Lake CPUs. So even if Apple upgrades to Kaby Lake, its not very likely that they will implement the DRM.

There can be no doubt that the 2017 refresh is likely to bring some significant improvements (as the previous poster points out), but if wanting to watch 4K Netflix is your main reason to wait, don't bother. The key factor is whether Apple will want to implement the required DRM, and they are usually very picky about these things.

4. Macalway, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

Macalway macrumors 68000

OFF TOPIC

BTW, anyone notice how Netflix got rid of all the old TV shows? All of a sudden they are gone. These were the staple
    of the service, and as much as I (had) liked the service I will now be forced to cancel; in spite of their decent original content, which keeps growing (and the reason for this probably)

It's interesting though, as now there's a real opportunity for a startup service to offer these and fill the niche. When (or if) this happens they could grab much of Netflix's user base. If Netflix eventrually decides to adjust, people may not want to switch back again (I don't know how this could actually play out; it's not difficult to switch, but then again).

5. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502

hawkeye_a

Their DVD service seems to have a very decent collection of old movies and tv shows (albeit not for streaming)