Need help naming a conservative Facebook group

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Mar 10, 2016.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I am a millennial college student in the state of California. Today in the school's cafeteria was a petition for a ballot initiative that, as I understand, would basically put more taxpayer dollars into college education and healthcare.

Although I signed the petition, I don't want the state to be spending more money on education, and not necessarily on healthcare, either. I believe that some of the money already being spent - on education, at least - is being wasted. My college, for example, got into a bit of hot water for its use of the funds it has. I think what I should do is create a FB group that focuses on the education aspect.

The name of this group should be short, but describe clearly where this group stands on education funding.

"College Students for Fiscal Responsibility" is too vague - everyone has their own definition of "fiscal responsibility"
    "College Students for Fiscal Conservatism" actually sounds like a pretty good name, although some might automatically assume this means we want to see Bernie Sanders' proposals come to fruition. Or that we think our instructors are being paid too much.

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

3. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

That actually could work, although some people might disagree that the way the money is being spent constitutes wasteful spending.

4. 1458279 Suspended

If your goal is to build membership, don't have anything about responsible or conservative in the title.

Something very general. Students for economic progress, Students for a new economy, Students for a working economy, Students for economic growth, Students for a disrupt economy.

People have preconceived notions about certain words and political parties.

In addition, stay far away from any issues not related directly to economic.

Stick with economic basics and extend from that to proven policies.

Example: trickle down is a man-made solution that obeys laws of economics, but it's a pretty poor choice of a solution. A better approach would be to focus on things that have been proved to grow under different situations.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I love how this is a "conservative" issue.

No one wants to see money allocated wasted it's not a single sided issue there is only so much of it and it needs to be used for maximum benefit.

6. 1458279 Suspended

There was a Senator that used to publish a book every year about the waste in Washington and IIRC, a House Rep that did the same kind of thing long ago. Both conservatives, but in the end, nothing was done.

One party has been known for wanting to cut spending but at the same time some spending seems to be off limits like DOD. It's unclear the effect of social spending programs, they tend to become corrupt and the market simply adjusts to it. Much like the "cash for clunkers" or home purchase program, the market adjusted to a bump and then demand fell. Conservatives tend to back away from these programs, Dems tend to love them.

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

The right like to think that they know best when it comes to money. I have no idea why, because they spend most of their time funnelling it off to big business, to the degradation of society.

8. 1458279 Suspended

See... ^^ this is why you need to leave the word conservative out of the name. It's an automatic hate word. The government might even shut it down and have the IRS audit you.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Oh yeah, they love to blow things out of proportion too.....

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

edit:
    hmm... forum needs EMOJI support

basically the prohibited symbol, the dollar sign, the number 4, and a college graduate hat

11. 1458279 Suspended

Ok, I know it would never actually happen. I mean think of the outrage if the IRS played favorites with the 501(c) program, everyone know that would never happen.

12. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Right, but not everyone can agree on what constitutes a waste of money. What I want is for the schools/state to evaluate their use of the funds they have and to cut out unnecessary expenditures. If they can't afford something that will help further a student's education, but can find the money to, say, renovate a building (not just make it bigger to accommodate more students) I'd call that a problem.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

But you have to remember that in government you can't really transfer money from one pot to the other. This insures that money for things like necessities can't be used for other things. Second the length of time it takes a contract to get approved for say a building exapnsion can be in measured in years. Once the contract is approved the money is allocated to that contract but the work won't start immediately but the money is there.

What I'm getting at is there's nothing the school can do this is federal and state budgeting. you can have famine and feast at the same time.

16. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

It doesn't matter what you call it. FB will shut it down very soon. ;)

17. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

You may have a good point there. My group should be focused on conservative education budgeting.
    On a side note, I think that until California gets its act together, it should not receive federal money for education. At least, not college.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 11, 2016 ---
    Although, I think my college may have decided to put its own funds into something that the funds weren't supposed to be used for, although they may claim differently.

18. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

OK, so I went with "California College Students for Fiscal Responsibility". Maybe the name doesn't necessarily need to be more specific.

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

which school?

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It would be almost funny if there wasn't some truth to it.