need help on deciding which widescreen monitor to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by flowagner, Jun 17, 2007.

1. flowagner macrumors member

flowagner

hey fellas!

since i'm really really happy with the picture my new sr 15' macbook pro gives me, i decided to buy a new monitor because the monitor i own right now just seems to be not enough (it's a 19' by viewsonic). well, so i thought about buying a widescreen monitor but haven't yet decided on one.

first of all, i won't be buying a cinema display since 20'' is too small, 30'' is too big and 23'' is just not the industry standard. i'm looking at either a 22'' or a 24'' monitor to watch tv shows on and do a little photoshop and university work.

so, since dell really sucks over here in austria (pricewise) and monitors generally suck pricewise over here, there are only two monitors i'm actually looking at because they fit my budget.

the models i'm speaking of are:

a) Samsung SyncMaster 245B, 24", 1920x1200 for about 330€
    b) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW, 22", 1680x1050 for about 470€

on the one side i heard the 22'' is better... on the other, personally i'd go with the bigger size.

so, any of you made any experiences with one or both monitors and could help me out here?

thanks a lot!

flo

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What exactly does "not the industry standard" mean?

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

22" monitors usually have 1680x1050 resolutions, and 24" ones have 1920x1200. apple's 20" and 23" displays have the same resolutions as the 22" and 24" monitors you suggested. i'd opt for a sharper image than having the pixels spread out.

4. flowagner thread starter macrumors member

flowagner

nobody even produces 23' screens except apple. anyway, i don't see the point in paying twice the price to get a smaller screen. sorry, i've seen the cinema displays in action ... i even owned one. imho they're just not worth the price they cost.