Need help setting up an external monitor plz

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DragonHert, May 16, 2012.

1. DragonHert macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

Hope someone can help.

I have the Newest MacBook Air, but want to connect it to my 24 " External Monitor.......

When its connected it shows on the external monitor, but as soon as i open anything, like an app or chrome it just goes black then when i close an app on the macbook air it then shows again on the external monitor ? also the resolution is really bad.

Am i missing something, or doing something on the wrong setting ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou

2. timamirzadeh Guest

How are you hooking it up? Thunderbolt (mini display) to hdmi/vga/dvi? Is your MBA connected to the power source at all times? Are you mirroring or extending the display? What resolution are you trying to run on the external monitor?

3. DragonHert thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Im hooking it up via the Thunderbolt to dvi, and yes its connected to a powersource, i wanted to mirror the display if possible, and it only lets me select certain resolutions... lower res if i remember correctly than the macbook ?

4. theSeb, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

That's how mirroring works. You're mirroring the MBA's display AND resolution. But if the monitor does not support the same aspect ratio, then a middle ground is found that works on both. Why are you using mirroring?

5. DragonHert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (apple) and wanted to link it up so i can use it more like a desktop when needed. The problem is when i open up anything the external monitor just goes off but returns when i close the app. Btw im using the newest OS Lion.

Thanks ?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I do not understand what you're trying to do. Turn off mirroring and try again.

8. timamirzadeh Guest

Ditto. Try it out and let us know!