Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
It is going to be my FIRST apple laptop!

New cMBP 15":

-2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB GDDR5 memory
-500GB SATA
-8GB RAM
-Hi-res + anti-glare

Total $1900
(I might upgrade 2.3 Ghz, 512MG to 2.6 Ghz, 1GB = $120. Do you guys think it's a good idea?)

Refurbished rMBP 15":
-2.6 GHz Quad-core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
-8GB RAM
-512GB Flash Storage

$2100

Which one should I get?
I'm a college student who is trying to find a last long laptop! (4 years or more). I don't play game much but watch LOTS of movies, and listening music. Good quality of audio is really important for me!
I mostly use laptop for school work (words, excel, power point), email, surfing internet, WATCHING movies and listing musics.

I planned to install Window 7 or 8 to my macbook..

I went to apple store today but still can't decide due to the similar prices of these 2 laptops, the rmbp screen problem (samsung and LG), and of course the refurbished qualities and problems.

So please please please help me to figure this out... I'm new here..
I dont plan to get any upgrade after purchasing. I'm not good with electronic stuff.

Thank you

Seniordan

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Canada
I say go for the refurb retina. My mother and I both ordered new macbooks and received them today. She got a refurb 13" air and I got a refurb 15" rMBP and side by side theres such a difference between the two screens. Also regarding refurb quality I don't think that's something you should even worry about, you will get a great product, and if not thats what the return policy and applecare beyond that is for.

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Thank you so much for the info..
I know that the Applecare is only last 3 years. Can I extend after it expires?
My parents said this laptop must live longer than 5 years!
lol.. Because my Dell (current laptop) is only 2 years old and it broke!

I say go for the refurb retina. My mother and I both ordered new macbooks and received them today. She got a refurb 13" air and I got a refurb 15" rMBP and side by side theres such a difference between the two screens. Also regarding refurb quality I don't think that's something you should even worry about, you will get a great product, and if not thats what the return policy and applecare beyond that is for.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I recently bought the refurb 15" cMBP with:

-500GB SATA
-4GB RAM
-Hi-res + anti-glare

Total $1599 (why buy new and pay $1900?)

Then I added two SSDs, putting one in the optical bay with OWC's $44 optical bay kit, and 16GB of RAM from Crucial.

So I have:

-512GB SSD (2x 256GB for now)
-16GB RAM
-Hi-res + anti-glare

Total $2150

If you're considering the retina anyway, might as well get two SSD bays that both run at SATA III speeds. Once the new M500 960GB SSD is in stock, I'll be swapping one of my 256GB SSDs for that one.

Last edited:

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
That's so cool!!!
So you suggested me to get the rmbp then?

I'm not an expert for moving/upgrading things. So what I brought is what I'm going to stay with for the rest of my new laptop life!

I recently bought the refurb 15" cMBP with:

-500GB SATA
-8GB RAM
-Hi-res + anti-glare

Total $1599 (why buy new and pay $1900?)

Then I added two SSDs, putting one in the optical bay with OWC's $44 optical bay kit, and 16GB of RAM from Crucial.

So I have:

-512GB SSD (2x 256GB for now)
-16GB RAM
-Hi-res + anti-glare

Total $2150

If you're considering the retina anyway, might as well get two SSD bays that both run at SATA III speeds. Once the new M500 960GB SSD is in stock, I'll be swapping one of my 256GB SSDs for that one.

Last edited:

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
That's so cool!!!
So you suggested me to get the rmbp then?

I'm not an expert for moving/upgrading things. So what I brought is what I'm going to stay with for the rest of my new laptop life!
No, I suggested the non-retina and doing your own upgrades, but if you're saying you're not willing to upgrade it yourself, then I'd change my suggestion to the retina model after all. Apple loves people that fear the screwdriver. :p

Apple doesn't sell a model like what I'm typing on right now. You have to convert it yourself for hundreds of dollars less.

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I know!! I wish I can deal with the screwdriver or know anybody who can deal with the screwdriver for me.

Thanks for the advice!

No, I suggested the non-retina and doing your own upgrades, but if you're saying you're not willing to upgrade it yourself, then I'd change my suggestion to the retina model after all. Apple loves people that fear the screwdriver. :p

Apple doesn't sell a model like what I'm typing on right now. You have to convert it yourself for hundreds of dollars less.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
If you don't do your own upgrades, get a retina Macbook Pro. They are a significantly nicer machine, but they are almost completely un-upgradeable.

Personally I do all my own maintenance and upgrades, so the day I buy a Retina MBP will be after they stop selling classic MBP, and my last classic MBP is dead and unfixable.

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I'm really appreciated!
Yep, I think i'm leaning toward the rMBP too.. just worry about the screen problem, charging problem and etc that people complaint online.

If you don't do your own upgrades, get a retina Macbook Pro. They are a significantly nicer machine, but they are almost completely un-upgradeable.

Personally I do all my own maintenance and upgrades, so the day I buy a Retina MBP will be after they stop selling classic MBP, and my last classic MBP is dead and unfixable.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Thanks for the advice. I'm really appreciated!
Yep, I think i'm leaning toward the rMBP too.. just worry about the screen problem, charging problem and etc that people complaint online.

I've come to ignore most of peoples complaints about Mac's. The thing is for every 1 complaint, there's like 1000 people not having the problem, but you don't hear from the one's not having problems.

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
You're right! Thanks for pointing it out!

I've come to ignore most of peoples complaints about Mac's. The thing is for every 1 complaint, there's like 1000 people not having the problem, but you don't hear from the one's not having problems.

----------

Lucky you and your friends!!

I'm the computer repair / upgrade dude for all my friends. :p

fratey

macrumors regular
May 6, 2010
Get the Retina. The single disadvantage is that it isn't upgradable, and the thing is - you've maxed it out already. You won't be able to put 32 gigs of RAM in the classic MacBook, which makes the upgrade point only valid on the storage. 512GB SSD will last you years, however.

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Thank you for the advice!
I just clicked a "place the order" button for my FIRST macbook pro retina 15" 20secs ago!
Hopefully I will get a great refurbished one without any problems or damages!

Get the Retina. The single disadvantage is that it isn't upgradable, and the thing is - you've maxed it out already. You won't be able to put 32 gigs of RAM in the classic MacBook, which makes the upgrade point only valid on the storage. 512GB SSD will last you years, however.

phillipjlael

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
I just purchased a refurbished rMBP on monday. I got the..

-16GB RAM
-512GB Flash Storage

$2189

Did they have the option for that one for you? Cause for a extra 89 bucks you could have doubled the Ram.

It is going to be my FIRST apple laptop!

New cMBP 15":

-500GB SATA
-8GB RAM
-Hi-res + anti-glare

Total $1900
(I might upgrade 2.3 Ghz, 512MG to 2.6 Ghz, 1GB = $120. Do you guys think it's a good idea?)

Refurbished rMBP 15":
-8GB RAM
-512GB Flash Storage

$2100

Which one should I get?
I'm a college student who is trying to find a last long laptop! (4 years or more). I don't play game much but watch LOTS of movies, and listening music. Good quality of audio is really important for me!
I mostly use laptop for school work (words, excel, power point), email, surfing internet, WATCHING movies and listing musics.

I planned to install Window 7 or 8 to my macbook..

I went to apple store today but still can't decide due to the similar prices of these 2 laptops, the rmbp screen problem (samsung and LG), and of course the refurbished qualities and problems.

So please please please help me to figure this out... I'm new here..
I dont plan to get any upgrade after purchasing. I'm not good with electronic stuff.

Thank you

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I didnt check it though.. But $2100 is the max i can pay because it hasn't included the tax yet. So the total is around $2250 that i paid!
Im broke! But thanks

I just purchased a refurbished rMBP on monday. I got the..

-16GB RAM
-512GB Flash Storage

$2189

Did they have the option for that one for you? Cause for a extra 89 bucks you could have doubled the Ram.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio

Don't get applecrapcare. It is a complete waste of money, and they will often refuse to replace a broken component like my MBP optical drive. It will last for a very long time if you are careful with it.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
If youre going to get the updates in the cMBP, id say just go with the retina.

I went through the same decision just last weekend. I choose the retina because the screen was just gorgeous! + the extra 512GB of GDDR5 video ram.

Due note that there is no problem buying refurbished from Apple. Its all good quality

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain

If you get the retina, you better get the Applecare and sell the notebook before the warranty expires. AFAIK, Apple doesn't allow to extend the warranty. This is the major drawback of retina models: Repairing the notebook, Upgrading the disk, or replacing the battery are costly...

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
You want to save more money before tax then go with cMBP then you can upgrade more memory and SSD in the future you can always ask your friends if they can fix memory and SSD for you. Friends fix it for free.

Good luck :apple:

I fix computer/laptop for fun but now I am retired.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Personally, I went with the cMBP because I could upgrade it when and with what I wanted. If you don't want to crack open the cMBP yourself, then by all means, go with the rMBP. Just make sure that 8G RAM and 512G SSD is sufficient, for as long as you plan on keeping the machine.

Good Luck

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Get the Retina! You may not need all the RAM & Processing all the time, but you look at the screen 100% of the time you're using your machine. Get the one that looks the best!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.