Need help tracing source of an unknown file "¸Ö3Áƒ"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrCheeto, Jan 19, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I recently found this expletive chilling out in my Users/User/Library folder.

I'll have a few screenies to help out. But I HATE finding garbage files on my system and I need to figure out what the hell left this turd baking in my folders.

Thanks all!

I found some clues that point to names like "ScreenTime" and "Screentime Flash FX Screen Saver 2.5" but I NEVER installed anything from these sites. If you want to see the contents of any files or documents there let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't know what that is or where it came from but it's supposed to be invisible. The name starts with a "." hence it should be an invisible file to OS X.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't think that is a "."
    maybe a "," or something else... a special character
    but on my screen it doesn't look like a "."

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

No, it's a comma, you just can't see it because the font is underlined in the title XD

I'm really looking to get a clean system. I'm TIRED of the stuff that ends up in all the crevices when I delete an application that I only tried out for 3 seconds. Appcleaner doesn't find ALL of the files, is there any way to annihilate all files associated to an application when I delete it?

I got so tired of the junk I recreated my User in a NEW User step by step until now all of my settings and preferences are how I had them but the trash is gone. It's been 1 month and already this stuff is happening ><

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am afraid you are doomed to live a very frustrated life

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Sorry, looked like a period. How much space does that folder take up? I never bother with stuff like that, it's usually rather small and once the apps gone doesn't do anything.

7. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

XD

I blame most of the garbage in my LAST user folder on being a noob. That user has been dragged around by Time Machine restores since my first Mac in 2008.

I really just have an issue with it being there because I like to tweak things a lot and having unknown and untraceable files around can be frustrating. It's like having random bolts and tools laying in your engine compartment in your car, it just makes crap difficult.

EDIT: I'm mostly upset because SOMETHING has gone wrong SOMEWHERE. Check out this phenomenon: Hot Corners Issue