Need help turning iPhone into iPod

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Suggestions please - Giving old iPhone 4 to a distant relative. I can activate it fine after wiping it because it has an old SIM in it (inactive) with my phone number.

Question: How do I, after activation, make sure that phone number can't be used for iMessage/Facetime?

I don't want the poor kid receiving iMessages and facetime calls sent to my phone number when he's on WiFi (my phone number is still active with the carrier on my iPhone 5S and tied to iMessage/Facetime)

Anyone had any experience with turning an iPhone into an iPod Touch while also making sure the phone number tied to the installed dead SIM doesn't enter Apple's facetime/imessage ecosystem? Thanks in advance!

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Suggestions please - Giving old iPhone 4 to a distant relative. I can activate it fine after wiping it because it has an old SIM in it (inactive) with my phone number.

Question: How do I, after activation, make sure that phone number can't be used for iMessage/Facetime?

I don't want the poor kid receiving iMessages and facetime calls sent to my phone number when he's on WiFi (my phone number is still active with the carrier on my iPhone 5S and tied to iMessage/Facetime)

Anyone had any experience with turning an iPhone into an iPod Touch while also making sure the phone number tied to the installed dead SIM doesn't enter Apple's facetime/imessage ecosystem? Thanks in advance!
Log out of everything your Apple ID is signed in with.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high

If you factory restored the iPhone you will not have any problems.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
If you sign out in settings with your Apple ID and restore it to factory settings u won't have any problems. I would test it out before you give it to him though just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.