Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

tipman2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
anybody know how to get a restored iphone to work without signing up for a phone contract? i just restored the thing to give to my brother as an ipod, but now it wants me to sign on with at&t to even get it working. is there a way around this? i would prefer not to jailbrake.:D

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I regret giving this advice seeing it could of been to help steal a phone :(

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
anybody know how to get a restored iphone to work without signing up for a phone contract? i just restored the thing to give to my brother as an ipod, but now it wants me to sign on with at&t to even get it working. is there a way around this? i would prefer not to jailbrake.:D

is this the one you found in the other thread?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Just put a prepaid sim from your carrier in it to get it started.

The OP found a Verizon iPhone and now wants to keep it rather than returning the phone to Verizon so that they could find the original owner.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1216630/

tipman2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
hey guys, i am not a thief, i would never do stupid crap like that. verizon phone was returned to owner, i had no intention to steal it. also, this iPhone in this thread is an old 1st gen iPhone that was my aunt's. she got a new one so had no use for it. honestly i am not dumb enough to steal an iPhone everybody knows they have find my iPhone and all that junk to track it.

by the way, the iPhone IS still bricked so any suggestions people would have would be appreciated! thanks!

PS i am not a troll so **** and gtfo

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
To 'turn' an iPhone into an iPod touch, you will need an un-activated sim card for the carrier the phone is locked to. See this link:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

Thanks for this link! I've had an original iPhone gathering dust. For convenience here's the meat:

Follow these steps to use your iPhone without a wireless service plan:
  1. Insert the SIM card from your new, activated iPhone or one that was previously used to activate the original iPhone.
  2. Connect the iPhone to iTunes on a computer connected to the Internet.
Once iTunes activates the device, you're free to use the iPhone as if it were an iPod touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.