Carrier Need Help! What is Straight Talk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRobby, Oct 3, 2013.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I'm doing research for a family member looking to get her first iPhone

She's interested in Straight Talk. Walmart sells the iPhone with Straight Talk how does this work?

Would it be better to buy an iPhone unlocked elsewhere and then get a sim from Straight Talk.

How do I know if she would be getting a 3G 4G or LTE network?

I called Straight Talk and they can't quote me what network she'd get.

Also, what are the rates they charge each month?

2. Nickme macrumors newbie

The iPhone 5 for Straight Talk is on the Verizon network. It only allows access to their 3G network.

----------

Now that look into it more you can buy a AT&T locked phone form like eBay or a unlocked phone from Apple. These sim cards are compatible with AT&T phones and it says it's 4G LTE. But if you buy the phone from Straight Talk it is on the Verizon network.
    http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdirect/straighttalk/Start.do?action=view&siteType=TR&AID=&VID=&VC=&SAHCID=&COM=&gotoPhonelist=true&brand=STRAIGHT_TALK&siteType=&productFamily=simcards&zip=46122&market=GSM4&locale=en&lang=EN

3. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Thank you this looks like the right option. Getting unlocked AT&T at the Apple Store and purchase from your link.

----------

I forgot to ask. Which type of SIM card does the iPhone 5S/5C take?

Micro SIM or SIM?

4. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Nano SIM

5. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Oh that may be a problem. The link selling the Straight Talk SIM cards only sell Micro-SIM & SIM.

6. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

buy Regular SIM, get it cut to Nano from one the cellphone stores in your area - they will do it. Do not buy Micro and then cut it down - it doesn't turn out as good (tired and confirmed).

7. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Which type of SIM is preinstalled in the Walmart iPhone that comes with Straight TALK.

8. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Walmart iPhone is on Verizon - It may not have any SIM installed in it and if it happens to have a SIM in it, It'll be a useless Verizon SIM. It is activated on Verizon 3G only - No LTE (Straight talk provides services from all carriers Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile).

You will have to cancel your service and then get a SIM from ST website and activate. So go buy a full price phone and just buy a SIM online.

9. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

That's what I wanna do. Go to Apple Store get an unlocked iPhone GSM. I just need to figure out where to get the Straight Talk nano SIM to fit it.

10. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

I'm trying to help someone who has ordered the Walmart/iPhone5/StraightTalk bundle for $444. The phone has not been activated. From what I'm reading this is a Verizon CDMA/GSM iPhone 5.

If this person is in an area that has AT&T and LTE coverage, in order to get this Walmart phone to work on the StraightTalk/AT&T network, all you need to do is get the StraightTalk AT&T sim card and trim to nano size.

So by doing this the Walmart/Verizon phone will be capable of using the AT&T LTE network. Yes?

Thanks.

11. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Thats correct - Get AT&T ST SIM and start using like normal

12. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

Sweet. Appreciate the quick response and answer.

13. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

You can buy a SIM card cutter here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P16FKY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can YouTube how to do the SIM Swap, you'll need to use these settings to get MMS to work:
    APN: tfdata (goes in 2 places)
    MMSC Address: http://mms-tf.net
    Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com

Buy an iPhone 5, AT&T, pay for the unlock (unless you buy one already unlocked), activate your SIM card, and you will be very happy!

By the way, your AT&T iPhone 5 does not have to be unlocked to use it on Straight Talk.