Need help when changing the name of the home directory folder in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by huntert93, Sep 20, 2011.

1. huntert93 macrumors newbie

I want to change the name of my home directory. When I try to do this in Lion, I get the following message, asking if I'm sure if I want to change the name of the home directory:

"If this path doesn't match the actual location of the user's home folder, the user will not be able to log in to this computer."

What are the ramifications of changing the name of my home directory? I am doing so to make importing Logic Studio projects less of a pain. Is there anything I need to do before changing the name of my home directory, anything I need to prepare in order to make sure I can log in and all my files are in the right places? (Note: I am not talking about changing my account name. I'm looking to change the Users/HomeDirectory folder name).

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

3. huntert93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Here's why I was trying to change it. I'm moving my Logic 9 Projects from one computer to another. However, when I open them, I keep getting prompts to find certain samples I used in songs. They are in the exact same location as before, but the only difference is the home directory folder is a different name. It's really annoying and would save me a lot of time if I could just change my new home directory folder name to the one it was before.

So, basically, I should create another user with the same name and then copy my items from the previous user name over? Are there any programs that can facilitate this switch (maybe something that creates a duplicate of a user but with the option to create another name)?

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen such a utility, but then again I wouldn't trust it unless it had really explicit logging and viewing of actions being taken.