Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
Boston
I’m trying to pull images off of my Camera Roll on my iPhone 6S with iOS 11.2 to my Mac locally and not using iCloud as I won’t sign up for that. I would like to use the Image Capture program or iPhoto and I used Dr Fone programs too but all of them say that my iPhone has a password lock on it and it can’t access my phone when I hook it up through the USB cable but I have no password active on it.

The only thing that I can think of is that when I first bought the phone and it asked me for a passcode during the first initial set up of the phone, for some reason this main passcode that I put is preventing me from accessing the photos through my Mac. Can this be correct? Or how else can I get access to empty my camera roll locally onto my Mac?

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Honestly what your saying don’t make any sense. Does it ask do you want to trust this pc?

Guza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
Boston
yes it does which I then say yes, but it doesn't ask me for a password because I don't have it activated right now, I turn it on periodically but only that pop up does ask me to "trust this computer" yes or no which I enter yes but it still doesn't give me access to the camera roll. I think the very first password I gave during initial set up is blocking this access, yet the password which I used during set up is the same that I use when I turn the passlock on or off at times. :/

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What versions of MacOS and iTunes are being used? Seen threads in the past where older versions of OS were causing this issue.

Per Apple, 6s supported OS is 10.9.5 (Mavericks) and iTunes 12.5.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/specs/

Can try turning on passcodes, then try to plug-in/sync.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I’m trying to pull images off of my Camera Roll on my iPhone 6S with iOS 11.2 to my Mac locally and not using iCloud as I won’t sign up for that. I would like to use the Image Capture program or iPhoto and I used Dr Fone programs too but all of them say that my iPhone has a password lock on it and it can’t access my phone when I hook it up through the USB cable but I have no password active on it.

The only thing that I can think of is that when I first bought the phone and it asked me for a passcode during the first initial set up of the phone, for some reason this main passcode that I put is preventing me from accessing the photos through my Mac. Can this be correct? Or how else can I get access to empty my camera roll locally onto my Mac?

You can AirDrop it (depending if your Mac is from 2012 or after) or email it or use DropBox etc...Hope that helps.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You can AirDrop it (depending if your Mac is from 2012 or after) or email it or use DropBox etc...Hope that helps.
Airdrop a lot of images tend to fall apart easily. I tried, and it could not handle 600 photos transmission.
[doublepost=1525842919][/doublepost]If they ask for a passcode, create one, sync the image, then remove it.

Guza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
Boston
What versions of MacOS and iTunes are being used? Seen threads in the past where older versions of OS were causing this issue.

Per Apple, 6s supported OS is 10.9.5 (Mavericks) and iTunes 12.5.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/specs/

Can try turning on passcodes, then try to plug-in/sync.
I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with iTunes 10.7 and I know that this version of iTunes won't sync with any iOS 7.0 or greater. But that doesn't matter to me really, I only needed Camera Roll access through Image Capture or any other 3rd-party software, so I'm still not sure why the password is getting in the way.
[doublepost=1525864821][/doublepost]
Airdrop a lot of images tend to fall apart easily. I tried, and it could not handle 600 photos transmission.
[doublepost=1525842919][/doublepost]If they ask for a passcode, create one, sync the image, then remove it.
I never used Airdrop before but will give it a try, thanks.
[doublepost=1525864862][/doublepost]

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Per Apple, you need the latest version (I take it as minimum supported version) of iTunes to download photos.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302

Combination of OSX and iTunes have the libraries/APIs that facilitate the communication. Don't know why this is so and exactly how it works under the covers, but, semi-educated guess out-of-date components do not understand newest operating system. SL was released when iOS 3(?) was released, so, lots of things have changed since then with iOS and the ever growing security measures.

And remember, iPhone is not treated as a standard USB device where you can just drag/drop things back and forth via file navigator windows, so again, most likely need up-to-date components in place to deal with communication.

Think of it as out-of-date drivers.

As for Airdrop, believe won't work as that feature comes with Lion and higher.

ADD: and since on iOS 11, could maybe have the "High Efficiency" option on for Camera, and if that is the case, anything older than Sierra will not be able to recognize those pictures. Probably does not affect the password issue, but could be another issue that needs to be looked at.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with iTunes 10.7 and I know that this version of iTunes won't sync with any iOS 7.0 or greater. But that doesn't matter to me really, I only needed Camera Roll access through Image Capture or any other 3rd-party software, so I'm still not sure why the password is getting in the way.

if you are using a version of iTunes with a version of iOS that it doesn't support then it's not going to work properly. because the computer doesn't have the needed software to understand the version of iOS, regardless of what app you are using. just like if you got a printer with drivers that only work with Mac OS 10.12 and higher and you are trying to use with 10.6.
[doublepost=1525924404][/doublepost]

airdrop in any form only works with Lion or higher so you are SOL on that one.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Since you don’t have a passcode On windows, you go to “my computer” and copy paste your photos from the iPhone device... If there’s a similar option to directly have access to my computer you could use that..

Guza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
Boston
NoBoMac & charlituna - really? the non-compatible issue of the iTunes and iOS affects other non-related 3rd-party software platforms?! I believe you but quite surprised that it would interfere with a completely separate program :/
[doublepost=1526040025][/doublepost]
Since you don’t have a passcode On windows, you go to “my computer” and copy paste your photos from the iPhone device... If there’s a similar option to directly have access to my computer you could use that..

so what you are saying is that I could usb my iPhone into a PC and have access to its content but I can't do the same with a Mac? :/ sounds typical Apple ridiculousness really lol

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
NoBoMac & charlituna - really? the non-compatible issue of the iTunes and iOS affects other non-related 3rd-party software platforms?! I believe you but quite surprised that it would interfere with a completely separate program :/
[doublepost=1526040025][/doublepost]

so what you are saying is that I could usb my iPhone into a PC and have access to its content but I can't do the same with a Mac? :/ sounds typical Apple ridiculousness really lol

No .. I didn’t mean that.. firstly they would never have that feature on a PC if it wasn’t on a Mac... I meant if there’s any sort of similar feature like “my computer” on a Mac, maybe you could try that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.