Need help with iPhone 4 unlocked but still "not suppported SIM"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ndz111, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Ndz111 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have had dozens of iphones IMEI unlocked and this is the first time that I have had this problem. Normally I did not even have to restore the phone, putting the T-mobile SIM in is enough.

This time, I bought the IMEI unlock on eBay for my iphone 4 (iOS 6.1.2) on Friday. My IMEI is 012338009982224 There was some delay as they said Apple's server was down or something. But after receiving the email from the seller saying my phone is unlocked, I still received the "your SIM card is not supported...". I was in need for a quick unlock, so I bought another IMEI unlock on eBay, as well as another one on swiftunlocks.com, and both said my IMEI is unlocked. However I still had no success in getting the Congratulations screen. I bought the proper carrier checks ($1) and it was stated otherwise: Locked to AT&T.

I have put 2 T-mobile SIM cards in to test, and both showed the same thing: SIM failure, No Service or Invalid SIM. I have restored the phone 5-6 times, even downgrade it from 6.1.2 to 4.2.1, or 5.1.1, then update to 6.1.2 and the same thing happened.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I have a customer waiting for the phone and I have already delayed it for 3 days.

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. Ndz111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really doubt so :( The phone is in immaculate condition and I have tested calling and everything with the AT&T SIM :(

4. Baggio macrumors 6502

I just tried various IMEI checkers and most said the server was down or some issue with the API. 1 checker said the phone was still locked. But that could have been to get me to buy an unlock. Maybe your phone hasn't been able to connect to the server though iTunes to activate the unlock. Have you tried logging in to the iTunes app on the phone? Sometimes that will activate the unlock.

5. Ndz111 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Baggio: Still SIM failure :(

I have spent so much time on this and it is driving my kind of crazy, 3 days may not sound long but if it is 8 hours every day searching and waiting and checking, then... :((

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesnt matter if it looks like its in immaculate condition.
    If it gives you SIM failure and such messages then something is not right with it.

7. Ann P, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

Ann P macrumors 68020

Double check your IMEI to see if it's unlocked at http://iphoneimei.info. If it says 'Unlocked' and you're still getting the Not Supported message then I suspect it's another issue. Could it be possible the phone was blacklisted? Or issue with reading the sim? Just a thought.

8. Ndz111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked it on http://iphoneimei.info:
    Serial Number 840246F6A4S
    Activated Yes
    Telephone Technical Support Expired
    Repairs & Service Coverage Expired
    Estimated Purchase Date June 24, 2010
    Firmware Version 6.1.2
    SIM Lock Locked

I also bought a IMEI check, and it also said locked. But I bought 3 IMEI unlock from reliable sellers all said unlocked. May be it was the sellers' mistakes? Or Apple did not update their database until Monday? :confused::confused:

9. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Dont know about the monday thing but doesnt hurt to double check the IMEI # you gave to the sellers ? I know a friend that had the same "issue" and yeap he was giving a wrong number :)

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would anybody purchase 3 IMEI unlocks from different sellers?

11. Ndz111 thread starter macrumors newbie

When that somebody is in a rush to sell the phone to a friend who is a very very pretty girl that he does not want to make her wait... :((

But seriously I wanted to make sure the IMEI is unlocked asap, and when the first guy said it is unlocked and the phone does not recognize the SIM, I bought two more to make sure it was the seller's fault or the phone's fault...

I was pretty sure it is the phone's fault (as 3 sellers could not have gone wrong), but all the imei check results came back locked (even those that I paid 1 buck for) have really bring my confusion to the max....

And yes, I double tripled check the IMEI many times already :(

12. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

At&t unlocks cheaper ive used (legit) around 10-12 bucks, i would not trust something in the range of 5 bucks.....and i think you cant dispute those charges.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would contact the sellers and have them double check the imei again just to verify. Tell them the issues you're having. If they say its good on their end then you can rule that part out.
    Also dont trust many of those imei check websites. Some give wrong lock status on purpose so you can purchase an unlock from them.

Swiftunlocks does it for around $2.
    What you mentioned above doesnt stand. He is the most reputable seller and if you think by paying more for an unlock is better I got bad news for your wallet:)

14. Ndz111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I still cant rule as whose fault it is. two of my sellers said they are double checking, while unlock_fusion does not reply me yet.

I have had dozens of iphones unlocked this way, and this is the first time it gave me problem, and just when I need it the most T_T And like applejuiced said, I also used to buy those imei unlock for $1.99 - $3.99 and all worked fine :(

I'm wondering if any of you have had your iphones unlocked and had the same problems as I am havin, and managed to fix it? I'm assuming, for now, that the problem is from my end, instead of the sellers' :(

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, I unlocked probably over 25 AT&T iphones with unlock_fusion and recently many from his website swift unlocks.
    Never an issues at all.
    Hope it works out for you in the end.

16. Ndz111 thread starter macrumors newbie

*Update*

I just went through the list of 10 IMEI that I had unlocked the past few months and checked with http://iphoneimei.info. The results are: 8 of them are shown as UNLOCKED, 2 of the are shown UNKNOWN (2 iphone 4s). So I really think this website is reliable. So the fact that it showed my current IMEI as locked should means that my iphone is still LOCKED. It should have been the seller's fault then.

At least I hope so :(

17. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Are you sure you have a good SIM card?

18. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Lol 2 bucks for unlock and you think thats a reputable seller ? I think you dont know how these unlocks are done if you think your dealing with a "legit" seller that does it for 2 bucks......

Several ways to accomplish the same, back in the day the service cost was around 200 bucks and a little more (first time it went public but old news for guys like me overseas) and that was when at&t was the only player with the iphone.

Now the bad news is that 10 bucks is bad for your wallet :) for me nan.

19. Baggio macrumors 6502

Why do you think the AT&T unlocks only costs $2? Most of them work for AT&T and are doing it on the side. To you they may not be legit, but it is being done through the legit AT&T channels for an unlock.

Good luck getting AT&T to unlock a phone if you not a customer in good standing and/or not in a contract with the phone.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would I want to pay $10 when I can get the same thing from a very reputable seller for $2?
    I unlocked over 25 iphones so far with swiftunlocks and all perfect and done in under 24 hours!
    Your logic is lacking common sense. You think by paying more your unlock is different or any better than my unlock? They all accomplish the same in the end.
    To unlock an AT&T iphone.

21. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Thats the thing, the ones doing it for 2 bucks dont even work or have some inside ;) they just have a backdoor.

Fwiw its fine in my book :)

----------

.... .. .

22. Baggio macrumors 6502

I have unlocked multiple iPhones without an issue with them.

----------

He must think these guys have a some illegal hacked access to the database, when in reality the submission is handled the same way when AT&T does it. Through the same channels.

23. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I had my 4S unlocked by swiftunlocks for $2. Highly recommended and they don't cheat you like the higher priced ones do. Go on and pay $10 and risk losing money of it makes you feel better.

24. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Unlock fusion has more that 140,000 feedback on ebay, 99.6% of it positive. So I guess he really is the more reputable sellers.

If you want I can sell it to you for 100, so you think I am the most reputable seller, and I'll just buy the 2 USD unlock for you! 98 profit!, you could never even tell. But hey, I charged you more, I most be the best seller ever!

25. Ndz111 thread starter macrumors newbie