Need help with iPhone 5 (somewhat urgent; warranty expires soon :()

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Paule M, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Paule M macrumors newbie

Hello Macrumors Forum :)

I need some help with my iPhone 5. I set the restrictions passcode long ago to turn off ping and a few other things on the notion of saving battery power, and now I've forgotten what I set it to. I have iOS 6 on it, which I'd like to keep. This is just my personal preference. I fully respect that others like, dislike, or are neutral to these sorts of things.

Anyhow, as far as I understand I can't restore without loading iOS 7, since Apple is not signing iOS 6 firmware anymore. I did save SHSH blobs back in the day but I understand that these won't help me. My phone has a few other issues, that I was willing to put up with to retain iOS 6, but if I can't restore without losing iOS 6 it seems I may as well return the phone before the warranty runs out in the next few days. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix my predicament?

Thank you to anyone (and everyone!) that can provide help on the matter. Have a good evening.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Return it on what basis? Is it broken? Besides you'll get iOS 7 on a replacement.

3. Paule M thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello blueroom! Thank you for responding :)

The power/sleep button is malfunctioning. It is unresponsive now. It can work if I press it *just right* but otherwise seems to be unhappy. Sometimes the camera seems unhappy, too. It was having some trouble focusing the other day, although now it seems OK? In any case, I have taken very careful care of the phone (no drops, moisture, scuffs/scratches, always in a case since the day I got it). Cosmetically, the phone looks nearly brand new. So, I guess maybe the button sometimes wears out.

I do know that the replacement will have iOS 7. This is why I would like to fix this phone rather than upgrade. Any ideas on what to do with my current predicament? I have to return it by Tuesday, I think, if I do need to replace it.

4. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Some people have reported still getting iOS 6 on their replacement iPhone 5's. As your power button is malfunctioning, you don't have to worry about NOT getting a replacement, the main concern is of course iOS 6. I'd suggest getting a replacement sooner rather than later. You may end up getting a 5 with iOS 6. Good luck! :)

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The first thing they're likely to do is recommend a DFU restore to resolve the button problem. Your odds of a iOS 6 replacement are very slim.

6. viperGTS macrumors 65816

No way. A malfunctioning power button is an obvious hardware defect, not a software issue.

Also to the OP, I understand that you want to retain iOS 6, but iOS 7 is a great upgrade. Unfortunately, there are many ways that something can go wrong in software which would force you to restore, so in my opinion, you might as well as take iOS 7 if the replacement device has it.

7. Paule M, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

Paule M thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello viperGTS! Thank you for your help!

Hi blueroom. The button is definitely a hardware problem. A restore will not have any effect on its function, unfortunately :(

I have seen some mention on the internet of editing my backup file to restore, but so far as I understand, even with something like ibackupbot I still would need the firmware signed. Is this the case?

I guess the other option is to just keep using it as-is. I just set the restrictions to disable a few things for battery life, although I don't know if it even helped back in the day. I probably wouldn't have noticed that I had this enabled except I wanted to edit something on the restrictions today. I've tried 9 attempts and I can't remember if I was also a bonehead and enabled erase at 10 tries or something silly like this.

Unfortunately, I find that iOS 7 hurts my eyes/gives me a headache quite badly while using it. The gradients and contrast on the menus seem to be a problem. I also find the changes to the way contacts and menus work to be frustrating for me to use; although that may be related to my eyes hurting. I understand that it is not the same for all and I very much respect others who are happy with iOS 7.

8. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Make use of the warranty, get it replaced and risk that the replacement will come with iOS 7

9. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I got 6.1.4 for my replacement iPhone 5 like 3 weeks ago. 32gb white factory unlocked A1428 model

Ended up restoring/updating to 7.0.4 since I think the jailbreak for 6.1.3/6.1.4/6.1.5 will come out when the iOS 7 jailbreak comes out

10. viperGTS macrumors 65816

The editing of a backup is really only to restore a backup from a higher version of iOS to a lower one. For example, say I made a backup on iOS 6.1. Normally I would be unable to restore it to 6.0.x or any version before that. Editing a plist file in the 6.1 backup would allow a restore of that backup to an earlier version of iOS.

11. Paule M thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your continued help!

I have iOS 6.0.1 on this phone, for some strange reason. I thought I had updated to 6.1.3 or 4 but I must have been forgetful. My SHSH blobs are for 6.1.4 though, although I understand that they will not help me (on iPhone 5)?

12. viperGTS macrumors 65816

No problem. :)

Unfortunately, SHSH blobs are useless right now for any iDevice with an A5 chip or later, which the iPhone 5 fits in this category. They require a bootrom exploit to work, and this exploit has not been discovered yet for the A5/A5X and later processors. It's still wise to keep the SHSH blobs though, because when the exploit is found they will have some use.

I wouldn't bet on the exploit being discovered by Tuesday. You're looking at either replacing the phone or repairing the current one you have. :eek:

13. Paule M thread starter macrumors newbie

OK! That is good to know. So, is there a way for me to restore the phone without changing the firmware; without having Apple have to re-sign it?

I know I have said thank you many times, but I really appreciate such quick responses. I was worried I would not be able to talk to anyone before it was too late. What a great forum!

14. viperGTS macrumors 65816

If the phone is jailbroken, you can "semi" restore it using an app from Cydia called iLEX RAT, or a PC program called SemiRestore. What these do is basically restore the phone to a factory state while retaining the jailbreak. It will not repair system files though.

15. Paule M thread starter macrumors newbie

OK! So, if it is not jailbroken then there is nothing I can do?

I have never jailbroken my phone before. Is jailbreaking the only option? I don't know much about the downsides (security? battery?).

I do wonder if I enabled the 10 times and it erases option or not. I wish there was a way for me to find out if it was enabled. If I had more than 10 times to try, I think I could eventually remember what password I chose. I *sort of* remember a likely pattern now, but I don't have enough turns left (I wasted 9!). I'm not even sure what it does after 10 with the option enabled.

16. bkribbs macrumors 65816

May as well backup and find out before replacing it.

17. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Last post for the night, have to wake up early tomorrow!

You mentioned you have 6.0.1 on your current 5, correct? If so, you can jailbreak and run one of the two tools mentioned ( iLEX RAT or SemiRestore ). It is your only option if you want to do a complete wipe, other than the built in reset function which will also wipe the phone. Downsides to jailbreaking? Your battery should remain the same, although bad tweaks will make it go down faster. Security wise there is still little risk, but do keep in mind you're basically opening current exploits which may make your phone more vulnerable (I could be wrong about this).

I believe the 10 failed attempts have to be done in a certain amount of time? Certainly 10 failed total attempts over the life of a phone is bound to happen, even on accident, so I think you still have attempts left. After 10 failed attempts, the phone will automatically wipe itself.

18. Paule M thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello! I understand needing to sleep. I am really sorry to respond again; I just have a quick question. Although, I understand if you need to sleep and/or have gone to bed. If someone else knows the answer, I would very much appreciate their help in that case!

If the phone automatically wipes itself, does the passcode remain afterwards? I am OK with it wiping itself. I could in theory restore my contacts and whatnot eventually.

Also, when one restores from a backup, does that restore firmware or just a backup set of files? I am sorry I am so clueless :(. It has just been so long since I did this.

19. I7guy macrumors G5

If the phone wipes itself I think you would start all over from a non-setup phone.

20. Paule M thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, OK! I guess I should give it a go, then. I backed up my contacts and other stuff, in something separate from a regular backup file (since, as I understand, a backup file will carry over the passcode).

I feel like such a doofus! You guys are awesome for the support and not making fun of me :eek:

21. Paule M thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Crazy experiment with backup editing was successful. Just had to make adjustments around the fact that my file lacked some of the entries people were talking about. After I fixed it to match...success!

I want to thank everyone again for their responses and help. I think in the very least, having some people to talk with about the problem helped me feel confident enough to try a bit of a bold move (well, for me? :() to fix it.

Hooray for Macrumors :D

I'm guessing, though, that I can't update to 6.1.4 from 6.0.1 w/ the blobs? Then again, I have no idea if that would help me in terms of longevity on support vs 6.0.1. I still have no idea how I never managed to update :eek:

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Easiest would be to get a replacement and purchase another iPhone 5 running iOS 6 off ebay. Unlock the replacement and sell it.

I ebayed my iPhone 5 with iOS 6 still on thinking people like you would gobble it up but it didn't drive up the sales price so there aren't too many iOS 7 haters out there.

23. dave420 macrumors 65816

You would think that, but the AppleCare representatives seem to have it burned in that a restore is necessary in any situation (in some cases that's all they seem to know to recommend). I had the same issue with the power button, and they wanted a restore before replacing the phone. Didn't have easy access to restore the phone, but eventually they replaced it by mail weeks later when I assured them it was a hardware problem.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can always restore it on the spot by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all contents and settings. In fact, you should do that before handing them the phone when swapping out if they don't ask to do that.

25. Brad02 macrumors regular

The JB for iOS 7 is out. Why would you not just get a replacement under warranty and re JB?