Need help with Power Mac G4 QuickSilver 867 MHz upgrading to Mac OS 10.4 to 10.5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Unicornguy, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Unicornguy macrumors newbie

Unicornguy

Hello, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my PowerMac to upgrade to 10.5 from 10.4. Let me start off with what I did and how I did it. I obtained a retail copy of 10.5 from a friend and since the DVD drive I put in my PowerMac is not capable of reading dual layer DVDs I ripped the image in Windows 7 to a .dmg file and put it on a 250 GB USB external hard drive. I then connected the external hard drive to my Mac and copied the .dmg image of 10.5 to my hard drive and then partitioned my USB hard drive into a 14 GB partition then I restored the image to the partition on my external drive. I then restarted my Mac and held option to select my boot device ,which was the 14 GB partition with the 10.5 image. I then booted into the 10.5 set up ,but after selecting my Language the set up said "Mac OS X could not be installed on this machine. Please check manual for system requirements." I looked online and according to what I had found I could run Mac OS 10.5 on my machine. I used Leopard Assist ,but that still gave me that error. I then tried going into command line and recompiling the .mpkg file on the start up disk ,but that brought up an error in command line I didn't quite understand.

So, my problem is 10.5 won't install on my machine even though it meets the requirements. I thought just now that maybe the Setup thinks it's going to instal to the same directory that it's in in which case would not meet the minimum system requirements ,but seems illogical because you can select a different drive to install to.

So, any ideas of what to do? I can get copies of any logs that you need since my PowerMac is internet capable. It would be nice to get this machine running because it's my first Mac that I have that I actually plan on using. I also want to try and get GarageBand or some other music producing software so I can try and make a little music because Fruity Loops Studio in Windows is way too confusing.

2. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

well there could be a couple reasons i can thing of 1 the image you put on ur HDD was not correctly made causing curruption leading to the error. 2 you do not have 512MB RAM in your system Leopard requires atleast 512MB RAM and a 867MHz G4 or G5 processor or better to even install.

3. Unicornguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Unicornguy

I have 768 MB of RAM in my machine sorry for not stating that. It could be a corrupted disk image. I'll try to get the disk from my friend again ,but I'll also as around to a couple of other people I know who own Macs and see if they have 10.5 laying around. I wish I had another Mac to boot into Target disk mode. I might try using one of the larger partitions on my USB drive too. Best to cover all bases.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Are you 101 % sure that was a retail DVD (black)? Did you try to extract OSInstall.mpkg and see what "machine check" is in there? There's a good thread with how-to on the forum, search "hacking 10.5 DVD" or similar.

Corrupted images usually aren't bootable after burning or installation crashes at some point, but shouldn't give "unsupported machine" error.

5. Unicornguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Unicornguy

Yes, I'm 100% positive. I didn't try to extract it. I did however try looking for the thread about it ,but I couldn't find it. Am I searching the wrong parameters?

6. Unicornguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Unicornguy

Hi, I tried it and I got some errors in command line. I don't know how to copy the errors from command line though. I could run them again so I can show the errors to you. Also, is there any way I could resize the Leopard install image to work on a single layer DVD? I heard of that some where ,but I have I don't remember where it was. I believe it was on this forum. Sorry for such a long wait. I got swamped with school and work.

7. rivettmj macrumors member

8. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

There is no point to install Leopard on under 1GHz single G4, less than 1.5GB of RAM and grpahcs slower that Radeon 9000 Pro.....it is just too slow :(