Need help with setup using Airport Extreme 5.0ghz and a bridged 2.4ghz Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CrunchyPickle, May 2, 2010.

1. CrunchyPickle macrumors newbie

For the life of me I cannot get this to work:

I have the previous generation Airport Extreme (non dual band) and an Airport Express N Base Station. I want to setup the Extreme to use 5.0ghz only radio mode for my computer connection and a 2.4ghz mode for the Express to connect my iphone.

I would like to setup the Express as a wireless bridge to achieve all this utilizing the WDS option which of course is the issue, just a lot of blinking yellow on the Express.

All my searches lead me to slightly different scenarios and/or completely outdated tutorials.

Anyone know the steps to get this working?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you are using 2 different flavors of wireless, you can't use wds.
    If one device is talking 5.0 and the other is talking 2.4, how are they supposed to talk to each other?

You can do it with a wired bridge, hook the express to one of the extreme's LAN ports with an ethernet cable, Put the express in "Off (bridged mode)" under connection sharing on the internet page.
    as long as your computer is connected either wired or wirelessly to the extreme, you should see the express.

Then go to the wireless page, and set the express up to "create a network", and then do all your settings as normal.

3. CrunchyPickle thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes sense. Connected to ethernet it works. Thanks for the clarification.