Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
So I'm designing my son's 4th birthday invitation and we've settled on this;

I have the high resolution file this person used for the minion however I am having a little brain fart - its been a while since I've used PS.

I was able to successfully change the color (easiest) and modify his eye however for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do the mouth and teeth plus the crease outlines in his pants... also, whats an easy trick for the hair?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

PNG wouldn't upload but here's the site; http://www.designbolts.com/2013/07/14/despicable-me-2-minions-vector-ai-eps-cdr-high-res-pngs/

Attachments

• il_570xN.556672628_s4zq.jpg
    il_570xN.556672628_s4zq.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 206

jgutie210

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014
Mirage Designs

I have the high resolution file this person used for the minion however I am having a little brain fart - its been a while since I've used PS.

I was able to successfully change the color (easiest) and modify his eye however for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do the mouth and teeth plus the crease outlines in his pants... also, whats an easy trick for the hair?

PNG wouldn't upload but here's the site; http://www.designbolts.com/2013/07/14/despicable-me-2-minions-vector-ai-eps-cdr-high-res-pngs/

Hi, I am a freelance designer. I took the image you wanted and modified it to the specifications you wanted. If you need any custom graphic for a project contact me @ georgegutierrez94@yahoo.com

Follow me on twitter @jgutierrez210

Thank you!

Attachments

• FDMP2.png
    FDMP2.png
    120 KB · Views: 155

jgutie210

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014
Mirage Designs

Here is the second part.

Attachments

• FDMP3.png
    FDMP3.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 155

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Here is the second part.

Thanks for your help, but I was looking to do this on my own...

Here's what I've come up with so far... this is just a scaled down version. I am still puzzled by the hair !!!! I don't have a drawing tablet, just my galaxy note which i'm almost tempted to import the original and see if I can use the pressure s-pen to create the hair.

Otherwise, how can i create the hair?

Attachments

• invitation.jpg
    invitation.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 133

Bertrude

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
England
You could use the lasso to draw a hair shape and fill it with purple. If it's on a separate layer you can duplicate it repeatedly and reposition/resize/flip/transform/warp etc until the minion has a full head of these hairs.

If you like the hair shape to be really clean you could use the pen tool to create a hair strand shape. This can be filled directly if it's a shape layer and can then be duplicated and reused/edited etc.

You could also draw say 3 or four hairs (however may you like really), save them as a brush and use that to draw loads quickly but it may take some trial and error to get the placement/rotation right.

I hope that helps in some way.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Create the hair? I thought you had the hair.

I'm confused.

What exactly are you trying to do to the hair?

If you look at the first image i attached in my first post, I am trying to recreate that as an invitation for my son.

I've managed to recreate everything but the hair - see last image i've attached.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Dirty way: Create a new layer and use the round marquee tool to create an oval shape. Now hold down alt and use the round marquee tool again to cut a similar shape out of your original oval, giving you a long hair-like curve that comes to a point (this may take a bit of trial and error).

Fill that with black, and copy that layer as needed and rotate until you have enough hair.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
If you look at the first image i attached in my first post, I am trying to recreate that as an invitation for my son.

I've managed to recreate everything but the hair - see last image i've attached.

I'm still confused. Is it just that the first image is too low in resolution and you didn't feel as if you could enlarge it effectively?

Otherwise, if you really need to recreate it, then use the existing photo as a template in either Photoshop or Illustrator and use the vector tools to redraw the hair.

Personally, I'd just try to enlarge (and possibly clean up) the hair that already exists.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Ended up finding a grass brush and used that instead... im content with the results...

Now to figure out the font used for the "Assembling...Ethan's Birthday Party"

EDIT:

Citizenzen - Yes, the original image is too small to enlarge and print effectively. I recreated the whole image in 4x6 format @ 300dpi to print.

Attachments

• 4thbday-invitation.jpg
    4thbday-invitation.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 144

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Citizenzen - Yes, the original image is too small to enlarge and print effectively. I recreated the whole image in 4x6 format @ 300dpi to print.

Your son's 4th birthday and you're worried about resolution?

I'd have found a way to make it work as is.

A four year-old should be able to live with a little interpolation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.