Need help with storage ideas on my iPhone 5 with 16GB of storage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I have a 16 GB iPhone 5 with 10 GB of photos. I am out of space at this point.

So, I was thinking, can I just transfer all 10 GB to Google Cloud? I have 30GB available.

Can I download the Google cloud app on my iPhone and see my pictures without taking up space on my iPhone?

I am pretty sure Google Cloud files take up space on my Macbook Pro Retina, as I have it downloaded on my laptop, but it does not take up space if I login through the web.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Why not just inport sll of your photos to your macbook?

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I really don't want to take up so much space on my MacBook! I am running bootcamp with a 256GB SSD so not much storage left.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Create a new iPhoto library on an external hard drive just for your iPhone's images.

That's what I did.

5. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

well if i were you, i'd use a program like google drive like you said then. i have never used google drive to store photos, so I'm not sure how to do this.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Www.dropbox.com.

DropBox is cheap and will upload you pictures automatically. Work cross platform so you can access anywhere with any hardware.

Get a phone with at least 64gb if you are going to do that many images.

7. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

Why pay for storage when you can get it for free? Google offers 25-30gb for free and works as well as, if not better than, Dropbox.

Google Drive for the Mac stores the files locally on your computer and automatically uploads new files to the cloud. The Google Drive app for iOS does not store files locally; if you need to view a file, it will manually download it from the cloud.

8. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

If these are irreplaceable photos - deceased relatives/ pets, births, weddings and other significant life events; I wouldn't bank on the cloud being the only storage option. Invest in a couple of good external HDD's and have redundant backups.

9. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Have you looked for an app that will compress photos?

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I do not do Google. These idiots read you mail and use it for their own purposes. I trust Google about as much as our government!

You go ahead and ENJOY!

----------

Good point!

The cloud should be for easy access. I always make multiple copies and keep them in multiple locations. I have over 950GB of photos and files:apple:

11. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

Transfer to your laptop/Mac and then export to a USB stick drive?

12. chupachup macrumors 6502

To be honest, I think that the best option for you is to invest $199 on an external Seagate WiFi hard drive 1TB.

It will work with the Mac, and your iPad.

Remember, anything you send to the cloud is no longer yours, no matter what anyone says.

13. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

14. chupachup macrumors 6502

15. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes, you are correct. Just throwing out other options in case people already have hard drives, SSD's, USB thumb drives and SD cards they want to use.

16. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I use Google drive, dropbox , and icloud for my mobile storage. In regards to images all three allow you to view the photos without downloading them.

----------

Have you contacted the FBI yet? Because that is a federal offense as well as a breech of Google's internal privacy policies.

(Nobody is reading your email. Do your research)

17. Newtons Apple, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sorry but Google has already admiled to reading gmail, have been doing so for years and you actually AGREE to letting them do so by using their service

Do YOUR homeworks as Google is not to be trusted. It is done to target ads to YOU! Just do a google search

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...to-place-ads-could-violate-wiretap-laws.shtml

18. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I went for one drive, they give you storage for using an ios device. I've got 18gb avaiibke to me now all for £0

19. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

No it's true google does read your emails and gives them to the NSA to read.

The Snowden looks had showed it

20. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I'm sorry. I thought you meant they were reading YOUR mail not cryptic meta data. My bad.

21. Winona Northdakota, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Need help with storage ideas on my iPhone 5 with 16GB of storage

Google scans your email and indexes everything so they can try to sell you stuff they think you might like based on their profile of you. Google also likes to face tag your images. I know, it's called "target marketing" and it has been around since the 70's. Though, Google goes an extra step of assigning you an anonymous profile that they keep your data they collect. Creepy stuff to me. I guess "free" is what you define it. I'd rather pay for storage with money. If you want to know my habits, well, that's a price not many can afford.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Good God... why are so many people suggesting exernal hard drives and syncing with the Mac. Or get a phone with more storage? Further, why is this a discussion about google services?

Drop Box
    Google Sync
    Microsoft Skydrive

These are all services with free tiers that let the OP do what he/she wants to do which is browse pics while on the go. You can;t exactly do that if you are sumply syncing them to your computer (though I admit that isn't a bad option for backing up.

I think I have about 15 (free) GB of space on drop box. There are ways of getting more (referring people), but that can be a pita for someone who needs at least 10GB from the getgo. Google and MS I think both offer something like 20GB free. The only reason I have stuck with drop box is because I have had it for many years before these competing services emerged and I simply don't have a need to store that much.

23. brandscill macrumors 6502

iOS8 will solve this issue by storing all your photos on icloud

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

25-30 GB from Google for free? Isn't it just 15 GB?

25. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

I have 25gb free. I think Google increased it sometime in the last year.