Need Help with Trade in Process. (i want to trade in my iphone 4s for iphone 5) how??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Sep 22, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

i have a couple questions.

1.) know i can go on amazon and do a trade in but how exactly does this work?
    they will pay me 'x' amount for my phone but then would i buy the iphone 5 directly from amazon?

2.)
    they require for me to send in the phone before i get anything
    how then am i supposed to transfer all the info from my old iphone 4s into my new iphone 5 if im not going to physically have the iphone 4s anymore?

3.)
    what is the most secure way to delete everything off my old phone?

4.)
    anything else a newbie like me should know about the trade in process?

thanks

2. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Sell it on Craigslist and get double what any of those **** services will give you.

3. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

amazon says they will give me $405 for my 32gb white iphone 4s that is in flawless condition.

craigslist will get me 800 for this phone?

also if anyone can provide answers to my actual questions id aprpeciate it

4. al0513 macrumors 6502

Check GameStop. Their values are still pretty high!

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

1) To know exactly how the Amazon trade will work, you really need to ask Amazon.

2) Do a back-up, either to iCloud or iTunes.

3) Do a factory reset - go to General, Reset, Erase All Content and Settings. Then remove the SIM card. When you get the new phone, restore from backup.

4) again, each trade-in place has their own procedures. If you are determined to trade in rather than sell it yourself, you need to ask the place for all of their steps.

6. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I have sold my old iphone and bought the new one for a few year so I give your questions a shot.

1)while I don't think you could get double I do think you can get more by selling the phone iutside of Amazon. That said $425 is a good price for the 4S right now.

2) I have never sold anything to Amazon but what you will want to do is back the phone up in iTunes and then you can use the erase all data and settings screen in settings to erase everything before you send in the phone. Once you get the 5 you can restore the 5 from your back up of the 4S.

3) The most secure way is to do a complete restore through iTunes. Just hook up the phone and click restore. Make sure you have backed up first.

4) Well you are not really trading the phone in. Its more like selling the old iPhone to buy the new iPhone. You will still have to go through apple or your carrier to buy the new iPhone so if you don't have an upgrade make sure you know all the costs involved.

Good luck. i got the 5 yesterday and love it.

7. dljeffery macrumors regular

Actually, when you sell your electronics to Amazon, they give you an Amazon gift card, not actual cash. In addition to this, and more importantly for what I think you are trying to do, you can't use an Amazon gift card on the Amazon Wireless store (for some reason). Something to keep in mind.

8. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

where do you recommend selling it? who would buy an iphone 4s for more than 400 bucks when you could get an iphone 5 for that price?

will right clicking >> back up in itunes back up every single thing on the phone from photos to apps to settings etc?

how can you check that everything has actually backed up?

what did you do exactly for your trade in?

and if i trade in my iphone 4s ill be without a phone. do i just take the sim card from the phone and put it in my old device or?

9. dljeffery macrumors regular

A contract-free iPhone 5 costs $650 for a 16GB model, $750 for 32GB, and $850 for 64GB. Someone buying a used iPhone 4S would be buying it contract free, and therefore willing to pay more than what you "payed" for it. (you actually payed for it partially through your contract, a bit each month)

Yes, it will.

I doubt your old phone can use a micro-SIM. Unless your old phone is an iPhone 4?

Do you know what your upgrade eligibility is? If you are currently using an iPhone 4S, I would assume you can't buy an iPhone 5 at the $200/$300/$400 price tiers yet.

10. appswipe macrumors 6502

Just curious, but how much do you think you will be paying for your iPhone 5?

Since you got an iPhone 4S I'm assuming you are under contract for another year so you'd be paying the unsubsidized price which starts at $650 for the 16GB and NOT the $199 that requires you to be out of contract and eligible for a subsidized price. Maybe you knew this already but based on your questions it seems like you may not.

11. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

did you mean to say a contract free iphone 4s? because im selling an iphone 4s not a 5. im still curious who would buy a contract free used iphone 4s when a brand new contract free iphone 4s costs around the same thing if even that?

my old phone is a 3gs. so what do people usually do in between the time they sent off their old phone and the time they actualy receive their new phone?

i have to wait next year until i can upgrade...

12. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

remember OP, unlike previous years, ATT unlocked lots of iPhone 4 and some iPhone 4S

currently iPhone 4S unlocked version sells for $550 for 16GB.

I do not think anyone get more than $400 for a iPhone 4S 16GB.

13. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

how do i know if mine is locked or unlocked?

i have a 4s 32gb...amazon is offering $405 for it.

14. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

bump still awaiting reply from snook regarding where he thinks is a better place to sell the phone than amazon

15. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Depends on whether you want to do the least work or get the most money. Radio Shack buys phones for a pretty good price, they offered me $175 for my 4, eBay also buys phones (instant sale to eBay), they're paying up to around $300 for the 4S. Amazon is also a good bet, they probably pay a reasonable price, they do for books.

If you're willing to do more work than find someone on Craigslist or sell it yourself on eBay.

Since you don't seem to know much about phones I'd go somewhere that you can buy the new phone first, so you're not phone-less. This should be any of them since you're updating, unless you need the money for the new phone, then you're SOL.

Just restore your old phone through iTunes before sending it out, that'll erase everything off of it.

16. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

But that's not cash, it's a gift card. Amazon is giving you more because you will be spending that money at amazon so they will be making a profit of whatever you buy. You can't use in their wireless store so it's not going to help you pay for your phone so it's not helping you achieve what you want. From looking around Ebay Instant Sale is offering the most from the services that pay actual cash.

17. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

i actually wouldnt mind the credit it would be the same to me since i buy a lot of stuff from amazon
    the thing that confuses me though is all these people coming out now saying that they are getting at&t to credit them $250 after having purchased the new iphone + the early upgrade fee

18. maladroit macrumors member

I decided to trade in through Gazelle. Problem was, I was so excited to set up the iPhone 5 that I forgot to turn off iMessage. By the time I remembered, I had wiped my 4 and it was deactivated.

Is a full reset enough to take care of iMessage? I popped the sim out and disassociated my email account with iMessage on my iPad and iPhone 5.

19. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

double really....amazon wants to give me $410 and I sold it for $480 on craigslist. You sir suck at math :rolleyes:

20. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Well cash is better then a gift card ;)

21. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

yup and that is the only reason I did that. I can still use amazon gift cards since I use it for household crap but cash is king and the lady was really benefiting from it. I gave her a slick deal on the phone. Factory Unlocked brand new iphone 4s 16gb JAILBROKEN WITH WARRANTY.

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Just checked Gamestop website and their numbers are pretty solid. I think I'll be purchasing my iPhones when I'm eligible next month and then selling the old ones to Gamestop for cash.

23. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

my amazon value for my current iphone 4s is 405 but i wonder how much this amount would decline if i waited a month because one month seems to be how long ill have to wait to get the new iphone 5

24. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Your welcome.

25. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Shouldn't decline by much maybe $20 or so. That's just my guesstimate. I'm not eligible to upgrade till the end of October so I'm in the boat as you as far as waiting.