Need ideas where to go for an England photog trip!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheSVD, Apr 12, 2011.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Hi All!

Me and a friend want to go away for 4-5 days on a photography trip. We did start with France but it's looking too pricey so we're figuring somewhere in England, maybe even Wales!

I've suggested cornwall, I've been there alot on Holiday and there would be some cracking shots to be had around there. He's suggested Avebury which looks pretty cool as well!

We'd want to stay at whereever we go (we're not travelling round the country) but wherever we go we can always go to surrounding areas.

I'm talking somewhere with thousands of photo opportunitys, the places where you get to and you just get overloaded with ideas for pictures!

We're not looking for anything city/urban (i.e London) But more rural areas (such as Penzance, Cornwall, which is my suggestion) and more stunning Landscapes.

As there is some amazing photography I thought I'd consult the ol' photography board as I'm sure you'll haev some suggestions! Pictures of where you have been is ever better haha :)

Much appreciated all! :D

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you though about the Lake District?

The scenery is stunning and very photogenic and it's a quick trip up the M6 from the Midlands.

MacRumors member Doylem posts a lot of amazing photos from around the lakes.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

On the way to the Lake District you would be passing the Peak District.

4. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Cornwall's nice, but a lot of the roads are lined with hedges and I found that when I was there (travelling by car) that when there was a nice view there was nowhere to stop and when there was somewhere to park there was no view!

Snowdonia National Park and North Wales in general are lovely. Loads of photo opportunities, some of them quite spectacular. Haven't been to S.Wales. The Lake District is beautiful too — have a look at Doylem's photos.

Some people love the Yorkshire Moors but they're too bleak for me. I don't like uplands. The Yorkshire Dales are green and rolling with pretty villages.

Is there a particular type of landscape you like? I don't have any photos I'm afraid. I hadn't gone digital when I visited those places.

Talking about France, I really love Provence. Eating out in France tends to be cheaper than in the UK, especially in the more modest establishments. It's not too expensive getting there — cheaper and slower via Eurostar and quicker but more expensive by plane. It's well worth thinking about for another time.

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

What he said (though not yet been to the Peak District - the pictures i've seen look great though). That said Wales and Cornwall, Devon and most of the south coast are great too.

6. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Yes, the Lake District offers the most 'bang for the buck': so many photographic opportunities in what is really a very small area. You'll need to get off the beaten track; some of the tourist 'honeypots' can get overcrowded.

I love the Yorkshire Dales too. If you decide to go up north (rather than Cornwall), PM me for more detailed suggestions re locations.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I live in West Sussex and I think it has some of the most beautiful scenery in the country.

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Did a top to tail trip of the UK last year with some friends by bike for charity and saw a lot of the UK.

Scotland for me was by far the most picturesque. However, it is quite a way off the beaten track. That being said there aren’t a lot of people there so you should be able to get some really nice pictures! The sunsets are amazing too!

9. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Another vote for the Lake District. Plus the Jurassic Coast is definitely worth the effort, some fantastic cliffs and formations down in Devon/Somerset...

10. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I like the peak district, between Macclesfield and Sheffield, is a small area covering a few small towns and lovely villages. In the south is Matlock and buxton, and to the north is Kinder Scout. Some great places for vistas and photos, Places like Wilits pass, Tegs nose, Macclesfield forest, Shuttling Worth.

take a look at the Wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_District

I am also a big fan of North Wales, from Bala west and north, bets-y-coed, llambris not forgetting snowdon and Caernarfon.

I cannot comment on the Lake District, but I had my Honeymoon there it, was very beautiful.

11. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Haha Doylem, of course, your photos were a huge influence to this choice.. your always posting stunning stuff on POTD! My Dad actually lives up in Bollington if you've heard of it? :) just down the road from Macclesfield! Got some real nice shots there, and we only went on a walk around the top of Bollington haha! Thanks though man, I'll definitely consider it, and if I'm going I will certainly consult you! Appreciate it.

Haha awesome man! Yeah I'd love to go to Scotland but it's just too far! I'm in the midlands. My friend and his dad swear by scotland, I honestly would love to go! Though on second thought maybe it wouldn't be too bad.. I'm sure it'd be totally worth it!

Yes I have, as I said above my dad lives near there, we've always driven through it and it's stunning, it's on the list of places we might go!

very true :D

Yeah I guess that's true about cornwall.. I took my camera a couple of years back but never properly went out on photog ventures.. I just think the beaches, around lands end, the towns would be cool for some stuff! Perhaps not so much exporable landscape as there is compared to the dales though!

thanks! it's definitely hard to choose from, all sound like great places to take snaps! Seems to be weighing upto the dales/north at the minute though!

what kind of towns/villages do you live near? :)

where's the jurassic coast? :eek: haha

Haha it sure does, see my reply to doylem, I've been around there before (not on a photog visit though!) hmm decisions... so many choices!

Thanks to all so far, all been very helpful! I may have to suggest up north to my friend haha :) keep em comin' :D

12. Gold89 macrumors 6502

13. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Right guys.. thanks for all the posts, definitely some good ideas :) Luckily we've found a cheap holiday to Montpellier in France so we're going there, but still somewhere in the UK too!

It's currently a tie off between up north (Doylem - if I'm going, I will contact you!) and the South West (Avebury, down to lands end area)

More posts would be great, but after thr trip I think I'll revive this thread and posts results haha! Thanks again :)

14. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Avebury - I come from down that way and it was a standing joke that no matter when you drove through Avebury day or night there was always someone in a bright red mac mooching about the stones. If you want really nice shots plan to get there very early - it gets quite busy.

Also if decide to try the area - don't just limit yourself to Avebury try the West Kennet Long barrow, Silbury hill etc It's all a huge man made 'sacred landscape'. Standing on the long barrow you get a real sense of how it all worked.

Also - you could try the hill forts - Liddington castle, barbury castle and the white horse if you're in the area. Swindon, while not exactly picturesque is a good base to explore it all from.

15. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Yup... Swindon or the Lake District: a tough decision... :p

16. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I live in Horsham, which has a lot of lovely scenery. Also look at Arundel, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton and Chichester, to name a few. also Box Hill, which is near Dorking, has a lovely view of the surrounding area.

17. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

South to South East Coast... have a look here to get started...

18. Cagle macrumors regular