Need iPhone 4 arm band for rainy bike rides: Headphone req's too

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PlaneCrazy, Sep 28, 2010.

1. PlaneCrazy macrumors member

I've started back to bike riding and I have been using an old Belkin arm band from my 3G. So far I haven't been riding when the rain comes up yet, but it's just a matter of time this time of year. I'm looking for an arm band that while not having to be waterproof, as in dunking in water, does have to protect my phone while riding in the rain. My current Belkin has too big of a hole in the top, and the plastic on the front is getting to "foggy" anyway. It's ready to be replaced.

I'm also curious if there are recommendations for headphones or earbuds or something that I can wear with a bicycle helmet that cuts down on the wind noise. I usually average a bit over 13 mph, so the wind is at least that strong. My "biking mix" playlist is a real boost and I'd like to hear it better. (For those who care, I bike on a closed trail with no traffic, at 5:00 a.m. so it's perfectly safe to bike while cranking up the tunes) I've tried the standard ear buds that come with the phone, and some cheap behind-the-head earphones from Philips. Both are pretty windy.

Thanks!

Plane

2. Otaillon macrumors 6502

Otaillon

Can't help you with your first question but I'm interested as well!

For the earphones part, I'm personally using Westone UM-1. They are a bit pricey but the sound is really good. Plus, the form factor really make them stay in you ears and the foam tips are blocking every sound from the exterior (I've ride down a hill at ~50km/h and didn't heard any wind).

Hope this can help you!

3. PlaneCrazy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the recommendation for headphones. I'll check into them.

After a bunch of searching around, I did find this interesting item.

http://www.arkon.com/Smartphone_Holder.php#SM032

It mounts to your handlebars, which makes seeing the screen a whole lot easier. As long as my headphone cord is long enough, it should work pretty well. I know I've almost crashed a couple of times trying to see my arm band to check time or whatever.

I think I'll give it a try.

Added: I just looked around and Amazon is currently selling it for $11.81 vs. $24.95 directly from the manufacturer. It's been ordered. Woo hoo!

4. Otaillon macrumors 6502

Otaillon

I just got a similar mount on eBay but it's not weatherproof. I haven't tried it with music but it is really great for using a GPS-tracking app for your ride and I also take little films of my rides.

(Off topic: what bike are you riding?)

5. PlaneCrazy thread starter macrumors member

I'm just getting back into it and since my ride is partially over rock and dirt, partially over paved, and partially on crushed and compacted gravel, I have a hybrid bike from Novara (REI). It's neither a mountain bike nor a road bike but has characteristics of both. It's a bit heavy but works well for my purposes at the moment, to get back into biking shape.

Once I get the iPhone holder, I'll review it in this forum.

Now I'm going to head over to the app forum to find out what exercise/gps apps people are using.

6. 1stopnetshop macrumors newbie

neoprene is the way to go

if you use one like this neoprene armband for running or cycling you'll find it protects the device and stops water and sweat getting in. obviously that doesn't mean you can take it in a pool though.

7. mojito macrumors member

The trouble with arm-bands is that they're usually designed to be comfortable and malleable on your arm. They're often neoprene or some similar material and they absorb water and sweat. I would recommend looking at a bike shop for one of those carriers that velcroes on your top tube and has a waterproof spot on the top for your phone.