Need Lots of Help. Can Ethernet ports get fried? +Multiple modem/router/iMac Q's.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, May 16, 2011.

1. iMJustAGuy, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I didn't post this in the iMac forum because I have many many issues right now. Here's the story:

Got home from work Friday, modem was dead- no power, no lights nothing. The power had not gone out and all of my other devices on the same unit were working fine. Today I got a new modem from Cox and I have a many problems (may not be related).

My iMac (2010 i5) will not recognize when I plug the Ethernet port to the modem. I plug it in to my iMac via USB and it gets recognized HOWEVER, I have another issue. It will let me view one or two sites and then I will notice the modem restart. Then in network settings it shows a yellow light saying the modem has its own IP and will not be able to connect to the internet. With a non-consistant routine of pulling plugs/resetting the modem/messing around in network settings it will turn green for a few and then repeat everything all over. Why does it keep resetting and why doesn't it easily reconnect when it comes back on? I called Cox and they reset my device but it's still happening.

Now, a question on something slightly different but related... I tried plugging just the router in to the modem so I can just pull from the wifi and my computer/devices see the wireless network of course, and they also connect to the access point, but they have access to the internet.

Could my modem have "exploded" and fried all connected ethernet ports (iMac/router, etc.)? And what could have caused it.

Any help on any of these would be great. I really hope that my iMac's port is not fried. Thanks a bunch.

-Dale

2. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Bump. (shh, don't tell the mods ;) )

Really though, can anyone help?

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

4. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy