Need more than 250GB HD and value for money, what to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 0dev, May 10, 2012.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I currently have a 250GB HD with Lion installed in my MacBook. It's all good but a little slow (it's 5400rpm I think) and my space is running out so, not content with cutting down my 100GB collection of HD media, I want something bigger to pile my files onto.

A faster drive would be nice but it's not at the top of my list, I just want a reliable drive with a lot of space for a reasonable price.

Since I already have a Western Digital drive, I'm currently thinking about this - same model line (AFAIK) and same speed but 500GB for £60 seems good to me.

However, if anyone can recommend a better drive I'm all ears! I looked around myself but most of the stuff has mixed reviews, I don't really know what manufactures and models are considered reliable :eek:

My budget tops out at around £100 and I'd prefer to order from Amazon UK because I trust them but another reputable UK retailer is fine too, and I may go a little over that budget for anything which provides me with terabytes :)

Thanks!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Bit over budget but it does look awesome and the reviews on Amazon suggest the claims made about the speed are true.

Is it reliable? Can I expect it to last a good few years?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

There's also a cheaper 500GB Hybrid. Smaller 4G cache though. Still very speedy.

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I have this and love it. I had started with a 250GB then upgraded to a 500GB. Then needed a bit more. At the time that was the largest storage I could get. At 7,200rpm it's quick and I haven't really noticed a decrease in battery life. It's quiet and stable.

I'm actually looking to get a new MacBook and my plans are to keep this hard drive and pop it in the new Mac.

6. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Wow, that looks very good. Within budget and an improvement in both speed and storage. May very well go for one of those :)