Need new monitor to replace 24" Cinema Display - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SteelBlueTJ, Sep 1, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

My 24" cinema display is acting up. It keep having random black outs and sometimes it won't even come on during startup. I don't have applecare since I bought it used. It's a nice display when it works, but the unreliability is very annoying. I tried updating the firmware but it wouldn't take. I am using it with my 2010 Mac Pro, 5770, hooked up with a 10ft. mini display extension cable since my Mac Pro is down on the floor at the end of my desk. I also have an older 20" cinema display as a secondary monitor and it performs great, so I know it's not the graphics card. I am at my wits end with this. So I'm looking into other options. I want a nice 24" semi-professional display with at least 1920x1200 res. and around the same external dimensions as the ACD. Any good recommendations? NEC? Dell? Samsung? Thanks

2. SteelBlueTJ, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

SteelBlueTJ thread starter macrumors 6502

I've also noticed that when I have the USB connected, the built in speakers are constantly crackling and popping. Any ideas on what could be causing this issue as well? Thanks

Edit figured it out. My USB extension cable was bad.

3. scarred macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the PB278Q Asus 27" monitor. Looks pretty nice. Hope the price is right. Supposed to be available this month.

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I'm using dell u2412 with MacBook Air 13inch, 2012. While the text isn't super sharp, it is okay, colours are good. The anti glare takes some getting used to when you've had a super glossy iMac for a long time, but it is easier on the eyes. Has no hdmi, but has dvi, displayport, and USB ports. For 290 (Australian dollars) including shipping and long warranty it's very good. I didn't want to go Thunderbolt when all thing retina are on the horizon ... The dell will do for me until there's either retina or better iMac or thunderbolt display.

5. SteelBlueTJ thread starter macrumors 6502

6. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45