Need new phone now... iPhone 4S or no?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gfish31, Jun 7, 2012.

1. gfish31 macrumors regular

i apologize if this has been asked a million times already, and just point me in the right direction if it has. but i need to get a new phone now. i'm leaving my company with which i had a company phone and now i need to get my own. would you recommend getting the 4s now?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

If you're going to get one then look on Craigslist. Would I personally waste an upgrade on it at this if I know I'm going to want the iPhone, no I wouldn't. Just my opinion.

3. AlexanderTT macrumors member

AlexanderTT

It's totally up to you. I've currently got a smashed screen iPhone 4 but I want to wait for the iPhone 5, whether it gets released at WWDC (which I doubt) or in September/October, I'm still going to wait because most likely when you've got your 4S there'll be a cool new feature available only to the latest model and you'll end up kicking yourself. Get a cheap phone for now, and get the 5.

But as I said at first, it's totally up to you!

My opinion - wait, it'll be worth it!

4. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I need a dump.

Do you think I should go for one ?! :D

5. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

issue is i dont have any phone or plan at this point... i cant just hang on to the phone i'm using as my job is taking it back

6. voodoopenguin macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue last year in May before the release of the 4S. I bought a smartphone on ebay and just used that until the iphone was released, then used my upgrade for it. If you know you want the iphone, you should buy used until the new one's out. But if you're the type that doesn't care to have the latest tech out there, just get the 4S now. It's a great phone and will last you a very long time.

7. AlexanderTT macrumors member

AlexanderTT

Get something cheap for now, and get the 5.

Or if you're not a big apple fanatic then just go for the 4S, it's still a great phone!

8. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

wait for iphone 5! ive waited to upgrade from the 4 > 5

cant wait.

9. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

Go on CL and get a cheap android phone. You can get something under 200$. Wait for the 5 to get your upgrade, it'll be well worth it.

10. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

OP,

It sounds like you need a phone immediately. In that case, just get the 4S. Whether you sign a contract now to get the 4S subsidized, or you buy a 4S online with the intent of using your upgrade for the next iPhone, it's going to be a wash in terms of savings I would think. I am not even sure if any of the carriers (stateside) will let you open a line of service without signing a contract. I am pretty certain AT&T and VZW will not do this. Not sure about Sprint though.

EDIT: I suppose a third option would be to pick up a cheap pay as you go phone (they have dumb phones for about $10) and use that until the next phone launches. You would have a phone this way for voice and texts, but it wouldn't be a smartphone.

12. Laidbackal, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

Laidbackal macrumors regular

13. andyx3x macrumors 65816

What?

14. theonekcrow, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

If you can wait until October-ish and buy a phone off of eBay or Craigslist, even if it's a flip phone, then do that. However if you think you will be ok with a 4S for at least 20 months then get that. The 4S is going to get at least 90% of iOS 6 (minus the new phone exclusive stuff.) So either way you will be in awesome shape! The choice is yours and yours alone.

15. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I can't wait either. Two year wait is enough for me.

16. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

First things first. Hope you're leaving your current job and moving on to bigger and better things. Personally I'd look for any cheap alternative, without having to sign a contract, and hold out for the next iPhone. Hopefully it will be announced at WWDC and available shortly thereafter.

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Alot of people are missing that the OP doesnt have a contract at the moment so he couldn't just buy a phone to use on his account. He would have to sign a new contract or go with a pay as you go plan. I'd say go ahead and buy a 4S.

18. Sunsean macrumors 6502

My advice to the OP: sign up for a pre-paid like Straight Talk ($45/month for unlimited voice/text/data) and get a used either iPhone 4 or 4s on CL. It'll cost you more than the subsidized price from one of the big providers, but you can get a great deal that will be WAY less than full price from Apple. You can get a 16gb iphone 4 for around $300 or a 4s for around $400 (give or take). Use that with the monthly pre-paid service for as long as you want, and when the new iPhone comes out you can decide then if you want to enter a new 2 year contract.

I should add that the cheap rates of plans like this make up for the higher price of the phone over time. $50 vs $100/month = $600 savings over a year, enough to get a new phone every year instead of every 2 and still spend the same amount of $ as a plan with AT&T, Verizon, etc.

19. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

It really depends on your own personal preferences. Regardless of other people's opinions you need to decide whether the current iphones will satisfy your needs or whether you'd rather wait.

If your the sort of person that would be sad seeing an upgrade, a month to two months after you got your iphone then definitely wait, however know that there is an upgrade coming in q3 - q4 this year.

For me personally, I'm keeping my iphone 4s until my contract runs out regardless of the iphone 5 release. The world will not end should you decide to go and get an iphone.That being said, if your excuse is you NEED a phone but you want the new iphone, I would suggest hanging out on a cheap pre paid phone for a few months, hell you might even enjoy the break, that will make the iphone 5 that much sweeter!

All the best with your choice mate!