Need Office now, but it's Office 2011 and Office 2014 is coming in March...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by msallin, Jan 9, 2014.

1. msallin macrumors newbie

So, I need Office now, but it's Office 2011 and Office 2014 is supposedly coming out in March. If I buy Office 2011 today, what can I expect the price of the Office 2014 upgrade to be (ballpark)?

I know Office 365 is available and will automatically upgrade to Office 2014, but I'm not crazy about paying $100/year for a subscription.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Last I heard you can get a one month free trial of Office 365 then pay month to month at $9.99. You could do this until Office 2014 is released.

Alternatively you can download and use the free Libreoffice. Heck you might just decide to stop using MS Office and save the money. It'll do just about anything MS Office will. Unless you are a hardcore excel or PowerPoint user.

Note: if you want to change the default save settings in Libreoffice to doc, ppt and xls you need to do so in the preferences. I'd choose the 2006/2010 XML option for docx, pptx and xlsx.

3. msallin thread starter macrumors newbie

Great suggestion, I'll do the monthly signup with the free month! Thanks!

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

FYI, you will want to put all the email addresses you have to see if you qualify for the $10 office deal. If you happen to have one, it's a great discount vs even the education one.
    http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/chooser.aspx?culture=en-US