Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lemmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2002
hartsvegas,sc
well, i think i'm going to be getting a new dual 867 soon and...
i need some help on a monitor.

for graphics (not to mention $$) reasons, i want to go with a flat screen crt. 19" of real estate, and not really expensive (ie: 3-400 bucks).

any suggestions on good ones or where to look for them?
i appreciate your help.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
Hey man, I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF with a dual 867, and I think it's awsome. It's got a little under 19 inch but should suffice. check it out. I got mine at Best buy almost a month ago and couldn't be happier.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
go for a flat crt! the closest lcd you would get is like 18" and for that price, you could get like a 22" crt.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by G5orbust
go for a flat crt! the closest lcd you would get is like 18" and for that price, you could get like a 22" crt.
when i get a mac, i'm planning on getting a 19" flatscreen ;), flatscreens look kinda like lcds to me but crtish lol

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
CTX PR960F

I've got one of these (connected to a PC, but that's not the issue) and it's absolutly fantastic. It might be a little more than $400 (they cost around £330 this side of the pond), but it's more than worth it. 18" visible, totally flat, realy nice to look at, usb hub built in, the works. And it'll do 1880x1400 ish at 72Hz. Shame my GeForce 2 won't :D

MacBram

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Zeeland, Nederland
I have the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920 flatscreen crt, and I am very happy with it. Seems very crisp, and the styling of the case is pretty nice. Got it for £299 sterling. Twinned it with an older Diamond Pro 900U with the USB hub and split BNC inputs in addition to RGB. Use these and Dr Botts ADC to RGB converter and couldn't be happier for video editing across two screens.

djkut

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
No question...

La Cie Electron Blue III 19". Great resolution, color accuracy, clarity, etc, etc. I am extrememly happy with mine. I work on Apple Studio Displays at school and when I come home to stare at my monitor I am happier. That says a lot considering the quality of the ASD. Also you can get Blue Eye calibration gear when you get serious about color accuracy and have one of the most color accurate monitors on the planet.

EDIT: Just in case you were wondering $399 from La Cie
http://www.lacie.com

lemmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2002
hartsvegas,sc
thanks for your help guys.

does anyone know anything about the viewsonic e90fmb (i think that's it)?
i just found out that our lab at school got some of these, but they're in nasty beige, not black like the e90fmb. so i'm thinking of waiting for our lab director to hook them up and see what they look like because he said he found a great deal on them (not much more than 200 bucks!), soo.......

but i do appreciate the suggestions.

---> djkut
i was considering the laCie monitor, but i decided i needed to save a little scratch first, then when i can afford it, maybe lcd's will be up to par (pixel response times, color management). and i can just bump this 19" i get to second monitor status. :)

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Re: need opinions on 19" monitors

Originally posted by lemmon
well, i think i'm going to be getting a new dual 867 soon and...
i need some help on a monitor.

for graphics (not to mention $$) reasons, i want to go with a flat screen crt. 19" of real estate, and not really expensive (ie: 3-400 bucks).

any suggestions on good ones or where to look for them?
i appreciate your help.

Here's another one to consider...... I have it on my Alienware but if you can hook it to a Mac? .......then the NEC Multisync FE950+ , about $379.00.............. great monitor.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.