Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Screen is clearer. Otherwise for me so far no. But again there's not many game apps that have taken advantage of it. If you're unsure give it a few months

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
double-facepalm.jpg

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
is the NEW ipad 3 worth the upgrade from the old ipad 2

If money is no object, and you want a somewhat better iPad... Yes.

If you are expecting a huge upgrade, it's debatable.

A side by side comparison with my iPad 2, the display on the 3 is better, but I do think it was over-hyped.

It's a bit more comfortable due to the thickness, but the weight is a bit of an annoyance for long term use.

If it's your only device (you don't have an Apple Laptop) then perhaps it would be worth it, because you're using it for everything.

If you already have an MBP, or MBA, iMac or the like, then you can easily pass on the iPad 3.

Step back for a moment and remember this... it's all roses right now with the new iPad. When the newness wears off, you will hear about the issues that are to be expected. Nothing is perfect and neither is the iPad 3.

I bought one because I could, but do it again? No.

It's just an extra around the house browsing device for me.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Opinions? We have lots of those!

For the 2, I guess it all depends on how much you'll benefit from that screen and how much disposable income you have around.

anthonyrp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
right now i have the 16gb wifi ipad 2 used it the first 3-4 months alot now maybe use it once a month i have some already wanting to buy it for 380 but i dont know if i have the retina screen will i use it more and replace my labtop? because of right now all i see in the new ipad is thinker and heavyer...

thanks for the help and i wont be offened by anyones opinions

----------

opinions? We have lots of those!

For the 2, i guess it all depends on how much you'll benefit from that screen and how much disposable income you have around.

share them all!!!! Lol

emgoodman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
If you, as you said, are using your iPad 2 once a month, I can't see how this newest version would be worth it. I, on the other hand, use my iPad daily and am loving this newest version.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
did any of you guys switch from the ipad2 to the ipad3?

I did.

1). I don't like the weight difference. I can definitely tell but I'm sure after a couple of days I won't notice.

2). Thickness doesn't seem to bother me at all

3). The new screen is nice but not that much nicer. Text is crisper but I wouldn't upgrade just for that. This is probably where I differ from most folks. My new iPad has a warmer display. I prefer the cooler one on my ipad2 but I'm sure I'll get use to it. I also had to turn up the brightness because my new iPad seems a bit darker. Apparently I'm not alone here. This will result in a battery hit. Don't know how much yet but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

4). I went from 32 GB to 64 GB. I travel a lot and can stream most times so loading up on movies for my long flights is a big deal for me.

5). I love the LTE

6). I love the ram upgrade. I was getting a lot of low memory crashes on my ipad2 since OS 5.0. No crashes on the new iPad. This in and of itself is worth it for me.

All in all so far I Ike the upgrade. My husband has an ipad2 and I'm quite sure he won't see the need since he has different usages.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I haven't read all these replies but I would say LTE is worth it. It's sooo fast!

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
[lol, love star treck pic]

no, $350 refurb 2 is best buy at the moment, go to redmondpie & see the vid comparison - no noticeable diff

Bloodraw850

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Florida
Go check out the new iPad in person, the screen is truly amazing and pictures and videos can't capture the true quality. Seeing is believing :D

anthonyrp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
I did.

1). I don't like the weight difference. I can definitely tell but I'm sure after a couple of days I won't notice.

2). Thickness doesn't seem to bother me at all

3). The new screen is nice but not that much nicer. Text is crisper but I wouldn't upgrade just for that. This is probably where I differ from most folks. My new iPad has a warmer display. I prefer the cooler one on my ipad2 but I'm sure I'll get use to it. I also had to turn up the brightness because my new iPad seems a bit darker. Apparently I'm not alone here. This will result in a battery hit. Don't know how much yet but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

4). I went from 32 GB to 64 GB. I travel a lot and can stream most times so loading up on movies for my long flights is a big deal for me.

5). I love the LTE

6). I love the ram upgrade. I was getting a lot of low memory crashes on my ipad2 since OS 5.0. No crashes on the new iPad. This in and of itself is worth it for me.

All in all so far I Ike the upgrade. My husband has an ipad2 and I'm quite sure he won't see the need since he has different usages.

thank you for your help but do you know if the ipad 2 doc works with the ipad3

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
It should. I don't have one but the 30-pin connector is exactly the same. And iPad 2 charging cables do work because I used mine. So you should be fine.

anthonyrp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
It should. I don't have one but the 30-pin connector is exactly the same. And iPad 2 charging cables do work because I used mine. So you should be fine.

have you tried it out because the dock is made for the ipad 2 and the ipad 3 is thicker

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
Bueller, Bueller?

I think the screen is amazing.
I love the LTE option, as I am in and out of the office all the time. 3G really was slow before.

If you are just a WIFI guy,I still think the screen is worth the upgrade, but why no go check out thr new one and see for yourself.

Best of luck,

mikejfrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
The screen and LTE are great upgrades, I'm loving my new iPad!

Considering that I sold my iPad 2 for 75% of what I paid for it last year made my upgrade worth it for me :)

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Yes.

This is an awesome piece of technology. Was just doing some side by side tests with my iPad 1 and there is no comparison.

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I was on the fence about upgrading from the iPad 2 myself, but I got a bunch of Best Buy gift cards for Christmas and figured what the heck, I'll spend them on the new iPad. And ever since I powered it on and witnessed the holiness that is the retina display I haven't regretted my decision once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.