Need Recommendations On What Laptop To Buy To Suit My Needs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ebmonkey2, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ebmonkey2 macrumors newbie

ebmonkey2

Hello Forumgoers,

My name is Elijah and I have quietly observed these forums for quite some time. However, now is not the time for introductions.

As you have probably observed by the title of my thread, I would like recommendations from some of you extremely knowledgable mac users as too what laptop I should be purchasing for my needs. I am an eigth grader, who will be finishing school within the next couple of days, and going to high school. My middle school issues a new 13" white macbook to every single student and teacher in the seventh and eigth grade for their entire time at the middle school. I have volunteered at my local apple store, and worked to help repair the network and computers in my school tech office. I am a computer nerd. High school will be here before I know it, and I want and to a degree need a laptop.

I am going to be the Asst. Director of Programming for Channel 22, the local student run television station. A large expansion and the introduction of regular programming is expected, and as the Assr. Director Of Programming, I will need a lot of hard drive space for video editing, video software, etc. The only other really space taker will be all my school work, which will also be on the laptop.

In conclusion, I need an apple notebook that is durable, can last for a fair period of time, has space for video editing, review, and production at a fairly professional level, and space for all schoolwork and misc. documents, software, and files.

What computer do you recommend?
    All opinions are appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Elijah

2. sharky05 macrumors regular

The only reason i would say don't consider a MBP is if you're just going to use it for surfing, but i see that you will be doing some processor-intensive tasks. This means that the major factor to determine your decision is your budget.

Assuming you have a large budget, a 17" macbook pro will be the best for video editing - you may also want to consider that, instead of getting the largest harddrive, getting the fastest harddrive instead for (highest RPM), and then buy an external one a few months down the line if you need it. This means you get a faster access time to the video footage you are working on. The only downside to the 17" is the size and weight, so if you plan on taking this to school most days, it's best to get the 15".

If your budget is lower, or portability is the most important, the macbook is the alternate solution.

3. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

First off I would like to say that was well written by an 8th grader and its quite amazing the things people can do at such a young age.

As for your original question I would recommend a MacBook Pro 15". I think it will meet your video editing needs, is durable, and will last a long time. If you have do have a slightly tight budget either get a refurb.

However, if you have read there are rumors of upgrades, so it may be best to wait at least till WWDC on Monday, and as long as possible before you make your purchase unless you _need_ it for the summer.

4. ebmonkey2 thread starter macrumors newbie

ebmonkey2

Thank you to those who have replied so far. More replies are always encouraged.

Heres the thing about the first two replies. I don't really know what my budget is because I think my uncle in California is going to buy me the laptop when I get to California on June 18th. I will be there until August 1st, spending the summer with him, so he hasn't given me a budget yet. The 15" seems to be the winner so far.

Thanks,
    Elijah

5. sclough macrumors regular

Considering the video editing, I have would have to second (or third?) the recommendation for the 15" MBP. The MB is plenty capable, but you'll probably want the bigger screen and graphics card of the MBP. The 17" is probably a bit too big and a bit too expensive at this point IMHO. Of course, an external monitor wouldn't hurt either and will work with either an MB or MBP.

As the other poster said, delay a little though just to see if there's an update. If there's not, don't forget the discounts that show up from time to time in the refurb store.

6. racemize macrumors member

Just chiming in, but you pretty much have to go with a MBP for those applications (unless it is prohibitively expensive). I think the 17" ones are too big, but that's an individual preference.

I note that my MBP gets pretty hot when doing things that require a lot of processing (e.g., video processing), but mine's a 1st gen, and I hear there have been a lot of improvements on that since then.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Does the place you work have a discount? You mention you work at the local Apple store, is it a real Apple store or a Apple reseller?

If you are going to buy, you should use the work discount.

8. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

If your intending to do any serious video editing (ie Final Cut Pro/Express with Livetype/motion enhancements) on a resolution equivalent or higher than 720P (1280*720) you will need a MBP and an external Firewire 800 hard drive...

9. ckurowic macrumors regular

ckurowic

....son when I was in 8th grade I was using a Macintosh IIci which was at least 6 years out of date. Rock the vintage, unless your doing scientific computation or hardcore video editing, you probably don't need a new computer :). But if you can get one, more power to you!

10. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

Well written by a freshman. I am proud that some students take their learning seriously. As for your computing needs, do you need to do the editing in a portable fashion? I really don't know much about the editing you will be doing and such but if you could do it on a 24inch iMac and then deal with a white or blackbook I would consider that route. It is the way in which I went, getting an iMac first then a used blackbook. All in all, I think it was about 3400, which I am sure you coud maybe use a used whitebook instead of a black one. My roommate last year had a pro though and has loved it the entire time he has had it. As I don't really need a lot of speed outside of my room or home, the black book is fine for me. I would love to talk to you about this more if you have iChat. Mine is catfish743. But if you would like to have the portable power then I would definately go for the 17 inch instead of the 15 because screen size is something you can't change down the road and the bigger it is the better in my opinion. And be sure to upgrade ram 3rd party, this will save you money in the long run.
    Best Wishes