Need replacement Macbook Pro Late 2011 Battery and a few other questions about upgrades

jimmymiro12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
Hey all,
I am hoping to get some help with this. So I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro Late 2011 15" that i use for DJing. I have no intentions of upgrading the model but want to improve performance.

One big issue is the battery. I attempted to go to the Apple Store but they told me my Macbook is "vintage" and no longer have the parts to replace the battery. On that note can anyone make any reputable recommendations for replacements? I cannot afford to have issues with this computer

Additionally, I am looking at upgrading the HD. It is currently a 750GB HD that was installed when I initially purchased it, but am looking at upgrading possibly to Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Or if there may be a better model?

Lastly, my Macbook gets warm (to what I consider hot) on the left side. Not sure if there is actually anything wrong but would appreciate if anyone can make any suggestions of what that could be.

With my DJ program there is some lag and ultimately that is why I am looking to make these upgrades.

Any & all help is much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Jimmy

Diazepam

Suspended
Nov 24, 2018
Ok, as far as a replacement battery goes, you can certainly find one on Amazon.com. I'm certain they have one that works for your MBP. It's going to be 3rd party, of course, but many people use such replacements. Just read lots of reviews and make a good informed decision.

Here is what I found with a quick search: https://www.amazon.com/HUSAN-A1382-Compatible-661-5844-020-7134/dp/B072KDCF3D/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543387058&sr=8-4&keywords=late+2011+macbook+pro+battery+15+inch

I personally have the Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB SSD installed in one of my laptops, and it is a champ ! You can't go wrong with it. However, a 1TB SSD is gonna cost you a fair bit.

P.S. I don't know all the differences but the Samsung 860 EVO is on sale right now for $127.99, which is an astonishing price for a 1TB SSD. I'm not sure if this is a typo on their site, but here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543387554&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+850+evo+1tb

I don't understand how the 860 is 1/3rd the price of the 850, but .... :)

Not sure about the heating problem. Maybe there are apps out there that monitor internal temperatures and fan speeds, etc. I would do a Google search for "fan/temperature monitoring app for macOS".

Is your RAM/memory maxed out ? If not, I would max it out, assuming your MBP allows it (I don't remember the last model with user-upgradeable RAM, before the switch).

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
Ok, as far as a replacement battery goes, you can certainly find one on Amazon.com. I'm certain they have one that works for your MBP. It's going to be 3rd party, of course, but many people use such replacements. Just read lots of reviews and make a good informed decision.

Here is what I found with a quick search: https://www.amazon.com/HUSAN-A1382-Compatible-661-5844-020-7134/dp/B072KDCF3D/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543387058&sr=8-4&keywords=late+2011+macbook+pro+battery+15+inch

I personally have the Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB SSD installed in one of my laptops, and it is a champ ! You can't go wrong with it. However, a 1TB SSD is gonna cost you a fair bit.

P.S. I don't know all the differences but the Samsung 860 EVO is on sale right now for $127.99, which is an astonishing price for a 1TB SSD. I'm not sure if this is a typo on their site, but here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543387554&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+850+evo+1tb

I don't understand how the 860 is 1/3rd the price of the 850, but .... :)

Not sure about the heating problem. Maybe there are apps out there that monitor internal temperatures and fan speeds, etc. I would do a Google search for "fan/temperature monitoring app for macOS".

Is your RAM/memory maxed out ? If not, I would max it out, assuming your MBP allows it (I don't remember the last model with user-upgradeable RAM, before the switch).
I agree with everything you say here was just adding that yes upgrade your ram to 16GB as anything more and your computer won’t support it. Ram is always good for a computer it should keep it a lot cooler as it won’t be struggling to as much.

jimmymiro12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
I agree with everything you say here was just adding that yes upgrade your ram to 16GB as anything more and your computer won’t support it. Ram is always good for a computer it should keep it a lot cooler as it won’t be struggling to as much.
Hi Airboy1466 - yes I did upgrade to OWC 16GB for the ram definitely helped the computer.

I am pretty set on getting the Samsung EVO 850 (just need to make a final decision on size 500GB or 1TB)

As for the battery. The biggest thing that worries me is reading some of the reviews, such as the ones on the product that Diazepam recommended where people said the battery didn't work after a bit, the computer shut off randomly etc. I just wish I knew 100% a reputable company to get one from since Apple no longer will do a battery update on my model