Need some advice about the iPhone given my situation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Haswell, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Haswell macrumors regular

I work for a hospital and only certain versions of iOS 6 are approved, 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, and 6.1.2. I’ll still be able to connect an iPhone to the wireless network. I just won’t be able to connect it to the Exchange server, which pretty much defeats the purpose of getting an iPhone.

Sadly, my situation doesn’t stop with the iOS versions. I want to use the iPhone on either T-Mobile or Verizon. T-Mobile has a prepaid plan for $30 a month where you get 100 minus, unlimited texting, and 5GB of 4G data. I really don’t make many phone calls anymore. When I need to make a call I can just use google voice. The problem is that I don’t live in one of the 7 cities that will be getting LTE coverage. So coverage could be a problem.

I also really want to jailbreak my iPhone so many of the jailbreak add-ons add so much functionality to the iPhone that it’s almost impossible to use it without the add-ons. The T-Mobile iPhone will most likely be coming with iOS 6.1.4, which means no jailbreaking. :mad:

So my other option would be to go a Verizon data only iPhone for $50 a month. Which I can get down to about $35 a month since my employer has a discount program with Verizon. I would have to get a 4G MIFI off eBay. Then active the MIFI with the MIFI’s IMEI number with the Verizon iPhone’s nano sim card, instead of the iPhone’s IMEI number. Then drop the nano sim card into the iPhone. My only concern is emergency calling.

I am just so frustrated given my situation. I feel like I am fighting the iOS version, jailbreaking, and the carriers. I really can’t afford a traditional plan where you get unlimited minutes, texting, and several gigs of data for $85 to $100 a month. Doesn’t really have be this complex just to get an iPhone at an affordable price?

I am almost at the point where I just want say forget it until the iPhone 5S comes out with iOS 7, but who know how long it will take for a jailbreak to come out for iOS 7.

I am sorry if this came across as rant.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

Uses Sprint's 3G network and is $35 / mo ($30 / mo if you sign up for auto pay) for 300 min, unlimited text, unlimited data (throttled after 2.5GB).

But I don't know if you need LTE. Something worth considering though. Its basically the same situation you have with T-Mobile, even though I'm not sure if its a situation. I dont think they will ship with 6.1.4.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Wow, really? Why not 6.1.3, which corrects security flaws? That's just weird.

Would IMAP still be supported?

Actually, it looks like T-Mobile functionality is coming via a carrier profile update, which doesn't affect iOS versions. iPhone 5 models running older version of iOS 6 will likely work just fine under T-Mobile.

By the way... if you're jailbreaking your phone, doesn't your employer have some objection to that? It seems like they have some really strict rules on what you can or can't do with it. I would think jailbreaking would be a no-no.

That said, a 6.1.4 update IS probably coming down the pike very soon, but for other reasons that may or may not affect you.

Actually, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee your employer will support iOS 7, especially if they're not supporting the current version of iOS (6.1.3).

4. Haswell thread starter macrumors regular

Virgin Mobile doesn't have the iPhone 5 and Sprints coverage in my area sucks.

My work doesn't support 6.1.3 because of the pass code bug.

My employer doesn't care about jailbreaking. When we add our Exchange account to our phone we get promoted to set a pass code otherwise it won't let us add it.

We don't support IMAP.

Hopefully I can do a carrier update without having update iOS.

5. Firstcherokeeki macrumors newbie

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

The was a passcode bug present before 6.1.3 too....this thread is fishy to me.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Google Voice uses your minutes to make calls, not data.

When you dial from GV, it calls both your number (your phone will ring) and the number you're trying to dial. Think of it as a 3-way call initiated by GV where GV calls both you and the person you're dialing.

8. Haswell thread starter macrumors regular

The official google voice does use minutes. However, there are third party apps such as FREE Calls & Text by Mo+ that just use data.

9. jakob25adams macrumors newbie

I would suggest Straight Talk. Their iPhone 5 uses Verizon CDMA. I just picked one up last Thursday (3/28/13) and it was running 6.1. Walmart has a 15 day exchange policy so if you get a newer OS version you could always exchange the phone for another one. $45/month for unlimited talk, text, and data. Yes, the data is unlimited as long as you don't violate their terms of service (no tether, no constantly downloading/streaming, etc.). Walmart is even offering a payment plan if you need it. The only drawback is you are limited to 3G connectivity but unless you probably wouldn't even notice. I've streamed Netflix and Pandora and both work flawlessly on 3G.

10. 617aircav Suspended

talktone would be one.

11. Haswell thread starter macrumors regular

Talkatone's quality is awful compared to FREE Calls & Text by Mo+

12. Haswell thread starter macrumors regular

I've just admitted defeat. I am dealing with WAY too many variables here, my work only supporting certain versions of iOS 6 (6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, and 6.1.2), the monthly fees, and jailbreaking. It shouldn't be this difficult to get a phone.

Once I get the approval from my work for the upcoming iOS 6.1.4 (which should hopefully fix the pass code bypass issue), I'll just get an iPhone from T-Mobile and use their $30 a month 100 mins, unlimited texting, and 5GB of 4G data plan. Then I'll use FREE Calls & Text by Mo+ (which uses google voice) as my main phone number and keep the default 100 mins for 911 calling.

I guess I'll just have to wait for jailbreak of iOS 7.

What an ordeal.

13. 617aircav Suspended

Used to be for me, till I upgraded from the free service.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I hadn't seen it mentioned here, but I think you have a misconception about google voice. It's not a VoIP service. You will still use minutes. Whether that matters is up to you. Just thought if mention it. :)

15. Haswell thread starter macrumors regular

The official google voice does use minutes. However, there are third party apps such as FREE Calls & Text by Mo+ that just use data.

16. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I can't see why they don't support the other versions of iOS??? Sounds like to me that your company needs to be paying for a phone.

Just buy an iPod touch.

17. Haswell thread starter macrumors regular

It's because of the bugs in iOS that hit our Exchange servers too hard, and the bypass pass-code bugs.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am aware. Skype is the same. He specifically mentioned Google voice, which is why I specifically responded regarding Google voice. :)