Need some advice for buying a new router for me new macbook pro! Thanks!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by comacaz, Jul 30, 2010.

1. comacaz macrumors newbie

So I know this question kind of floats around, but I need to get a router for my new macbook pro. It's the latest model and I was hoping to actually avoid the apple extreme or express, because the express doesn't fit my the range that I need and the extreme, is, a little pricey. If you know of any good solid routers out there that can support my macbook, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think any router would support your computer. I'd go with a 802.11n capable one from linksys or netgear, etc. I would avoid D-link, as I have had some troubles with those (dropping signal, constant resetting)

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, pretty much any router works with a Mac, like with a PC. You don't have to go with Apple's option. At the moment, I think I have a Netgear router for my MacBook.

4. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

i have a belkin n wireless router that's under a year old and it works with my mbp. the router gives me great range

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

if you get cable from Comcast give them a call as they offer a free router - after you pay $9.99 for shipping. With a router from your cable company they will help diagnose a problem and replace or service it for free. If you have a problem and it turns out to be a router you purchase, then you would have to pay for a service call if Comcast comes out to diagnose the problem. My router is a free Netgear from Comcast and it works perfectly two rooms away from the source
    https://www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter/default.cspx?403;https://www.comcast.com:80/wirelessrouter/