Need some advice on broken iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aphexacid, Apr 10, 2012.

1. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

My fiances uncle shattered the screen on on my fiances iPhone 4.

He gave me $200 to replace it, but it seems like such a waste to go swap it. No warranty, it's a launch day 4.

You guys think I should just go pay the $200 and be done with it, or take the $200 and add a line to my account to bring her # over and get her a 4s?

At the very least, you think they'll swap it for a white one since I'm paying the $200? At least that would somewhat make it feel like its not a total waste.

What do you guys think?

2. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

Depending on the damage and where you live there are a great number of repair shops that can fix a broken glass and/or digitizer for less than $200. If you're in the LA area I highly recommend the iPod repair clinic, and even if you're not you can mail the phone to them if you can be without it for a few days. I've taken a number of devices to get fixed there and have never thought about going anywhere else.

You can probably just go to Yelp and lookup iPhone repair near your city and find somebody to take care of it.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'd say use the $200 to add her onto your family plan and get her the 4S. Adding her to your family plan would also save you guys some money. You could also go in and replace that broken iPhone 4 with the out of warranty replacement for $200 and turn around and sell it for a profit.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If she had a black one, upon replacement she will get a black one as a replacement. When replacing a phone, you will always get the same model, same color, same size.

Only way to get a white one is to buy it brand new. If she wants a White one, she can get a 4S at $199 thus joining your line.

As others mention. You could technically replace the broken iPhone 4 at the apple store for $199, and if she is out of contract on her old line, call AT&T and request an unlock, then sell it, you can easily make big bucks if it was unlocked, whether than selling it locked iphone. Just make sure that her old line is in good standing and has fulfilled her contract.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Unless she's your wife, or your fiance, getting into a 2 year commitment for just a simple GF isn't a wise thing. Disagree if you will, but look at history. Have you ever had a GF that you didn't break up with? Thats my point.

I suggest you get your phone fixed. If anything is left, get her one off of ebay or craigslist thats not in contract. Then you can add a new line on your account with that phone. Won't cost you forever should the worst happen.

6. RMC Tech macrumors newbie

RMC Tech

I'd get it repaired

Just repair it. I mean.. you could get that done for cheap. Not promoting my services either. You can probably find a place locally that'll fix that screen for under 110 bucks. Probably less.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

FYI, the out of warranty fee for an iPhone 4 is now $149. The 4S is $199.

I would agree with the above. Unless you two are getting married, it's probably not a good idea to take on a 2 year commitment, unless you're willing and can afford to take on the financial responsibility if she welches on paying for it.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Well he did mention that it was his fiance's iPhone.

9. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Thanks for all the replies guys.

This is my Fiance, so i will be bringing her over on my account eventually anyway.

But for now, i think i'm going to take in and pay the out of warranty replacement especially since its $149 as mentioned above! That makes it much better.
    I'd have to be a lunatic to get just the screen fixed at that point. The home button use replacing anyways.

Only reason i'm even questioning if i should bring her over to my account now is because i don't want to get stuck with the 4S under contract, and then the new iphone comes out in the summer.

The iphone she has now was my old iphone 4 that i bought the day it came out. Will i be able to unlock the replacement as well?

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You could consult AT&T about that before getting the replacement, that way when you do get it replaced, all Apple has to do is give you a factory unlocked replacement.

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As the above stated, I would suggest calling AT&T and requesting it to unlock it before you take it to the apple store for a replacement. Once it is unlocked, Apple will know by the imei that it is unlocked and will give you an unlocked iphone as a replacement. Or just get it replaced first then request an unlock by calling at&t. At this point it shouldn't matter.

Also it is likely that the next generation release will be in the Fall, which is 6-8 months from now.