Need some clarification on Verizon Unlocked iphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ashenfang, Oct 6, 2014.

1. ashenfang macrumors member

So here is what I understand (I looked at the chart available in a stick here on these forums)

Any VERIZON iphone 5, 5s, 5c or higher is FACTORY UNLOCKED, meaning I can pop the SIM out and use another SIM for any GSM carrier?

I just want to be clear because I am selling it and want to make sure it will work for the other person. He plans to use it out of country on a GSM network (didn't say who). That carrier just told him that as long as the phone is unlocked, it didn't matter who the original carrier was.

Thanks for your help.

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

That is also my understanding. I've never seen anything that says otherwise.

3. wxman2003 Suspended

The 5 may have problems working with LTE in other countries, although 3G should be fine. I recall the 5 had no issues with 3G on t Mobile and AT&T, but did not work with their LTE network. 5C and 5S should be fine.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    They can be used on any gsm carrier in the world.

5. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

6. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

My Verizon 5 worked on att LTE just fine. Other countries though, yes, it only ever got 3G.

7. ashenfang thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! Appreciate the input. I would have tested it myself on the ATT network with my mother-in-laws SIM card but it was the older SIM card, not the Nano, so wasn't able to. Good to know this should work for the guy who is buying it.

8. hbenitez09 macrumors regular

I know for a fact the 5c, 5s, work fully functional on T-Mobile and At&t being fully gsm unlocked. Apple makes 1 model for Verizon, At&t and T-Mobile. The 6 and 6 plus are the same. My proof I work for At&t and we activate Byod devices from Verizon all the time. Additionally I bought my 6 plus Verizon at full price and popped in my AT&T sim fully functional LTE advanced and VoLTE. The 5 works but not on all LTE networks.

9. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

You are correct about GSM-HSPA+, though to clarify about LTE and compatibility:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

For the 5S, 5C, and 6, the Verizon model has all the same LTE bands as the GSM models, so there's no real compatibility issues there.

For the 5, the Verizon version is better for international use; it won't have the necessary bands for AT&T's LTE

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LTE carriers and bands vary by country, region, carriers and specific iphone models.
    My statement still stands correct, it can be used on any gsm carrier in the world.

12. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

You are correct, as I also noted. I was only adding info about LTE.