Need Some Help From OCD People Who Have Recently Purchased A New iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Link2999, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Link2999 macrumors 6502

I am very OCD about new electronics. I mean VERY. I had to get my iPod Touch (4th Generation) replaced 6 different times (on my 7th) the first week or 2 it came out. I have had problems including light leaks, dead pixels, clicking, overheating, and bad screens. If you're like me you would want your iPod to be absolutely free of flaws. No problems AT ALL. When I got my last replacement, at first I thought it was okay, but noticed 2 small light leaks on the right when I angled it in the dark. I thought I could live with this if it were the only problem. I then noticed the screen was tinted in the upper left hand corner due to a light leak under the glass, but over the screen. Now I found a dead (white) pixel on the screen. It isn't stuck, just a defective pixel. Due to the pixel thing at least, Apple needs to replace this product.

I'm just wondering, from the other OCD guys out there, if the new batches of iPods are for the most part, better than the first batches. Is your new iPod perfect? I know there are polls out there, but not everyone is as nit-picky about this stuff as me.

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

It's just ONE dead pixel.

good luck trying to get apple to repair

3. patp Guest

They are all going to have some minor issue that 80% of us would never notice. If you really have gone thru 7 of these, mYbe you should look at something else. Seriously, if it was me after the 3rd failure i would have given up.
    I have to give you props for haning in there or maybe you are way too OCD. :)

4. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you can learn to live with it then these things will no longer bother you. If you keep on exchanging your iPod you will never be happy with it. That may not be what you want to hear, but it's what you need to do if you ever want to stop stop this honestly vicious cycle you've found yourself in. Find perfection in your imperfect device.

5. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple's Policy on iPod Touch/iPhone Dead Black/White Pixels is that 1 pixel constitutes a repair or swap. I was just wondering if the issues seen in the first batch of shipments are still being seen on new devices. It may just take someone OCD about this type of thing to notice them. When I get a new device I inspect it very thoroughly. If I notice a dead pixel or a light leak or something, it's hard for me to ignore it after that. I feel that if I don't check for the flaws right away, they may turn up later on and by that time I'd lose my chance to find a better device.

6. dtblaze macrumors regular

If you are not happy w/ it return it...If you are then you will have to live with it. I know, OCD can be bad.

7. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

If you can avoid doing that then you'll never notice what you think to be flaws :)

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I wish people would stop spouting around that they're OCD about things. (Unless, you know, you've been clinically diagnosed)

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have to say I agree. What the OP says is not OCD. Real OCD is going things like spending three hours flipping light switches until it shuts off "correctly" or having to turn the TV channel down and extra channel so that you can get to the channel you want by pressing up.

To the OP: Honestly, no offense, the problems are not the device its you. Small devices will all have light leaks. It would be a complete stroke of luck to get one without. Most monitors as well have light leaks. Its just the nature of the technology.

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah it's not OCD, you're just anal retentive... dead pixels I can see returning for. That one dead pixel would irritate me too... but I have a slight light leak on my iPod Touch 4 by the volume control and it really doesn't bother me. Sometimes I look at it... but it's really not THAT big a deal. Get over it.

As for the overheating and other functional issues I'd return the thing for sure.

11. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

@Link2999, is not the medium but the content my son, said the old monk.

forget about how your device performs, but how much you can learn from the content you actually have in it. You got the ipod to use it, I mean, to experience their content right?

12. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

If you scrutinize it under a microscope, you WILL find a minor defect or two. I know that when most of u buy our electronics, we want them to be worth 100% of their value and be free of flaw or defects - and, they are - for the most part.
    If you're on your 7th, you're probably taking it a bit too extreme. Stop looking for defects, and start enjoying your iPod. Unless the flaw or defect is REALLY noticeable, it's not worth changing it or OCD'ing about it.
    I know what you're talking about - I have some OCD myself with certain things, but you'll never enjoy what you have if you are constantly looking for flaws or defects in it.

13. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I'd hate to see what happens when you buy a car; I've seen pretty much every car I can think of and I don't know of any that even hits 80% "perfect".

Some funny ones I can think of:
    * Bugatti Veyron.. it had some extremely minor orange peel in the paint job
    * Honda's "black" interiors have about 8 or 9 shades of "black" lol. Don't believe me? Try taking a picture at night with the flash on.
    * Most car designs are defective by design. If I had a buck for every car designed with body lines (eg, doors, windows, or other things) that didn't line up with the rest of the car, I'd be rich right now.
    * All that, and one pothole can take a wheel out of balance, cause your suspension to have early wear, and more vibrations. mmmm.

Anyway, getting 95% on an iPod isn't unreasonable IMHO, and it sounds like the 7 exchanges you had WERE reasonable (after all, the store replaced it every time).

Although I'd debate about light bleed and the corners of the backlight lol.

14. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

I already admitted that I may be a little crazy about this type of stuff, it's all in the first post. Never really got the answer I was looking for though. Do the new devices have the same defects I mentioned as the old ones? (Later Shipment of 4th Gens vs. First Shipment of 4th Gens) These problems are there and they aren't in my head I can say that, but most can be considered very minor. However minor though, I'd still like a device of better quality for what I paid for it.

15. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

To tell you the truth I wouldn't mind that stuff. My 06' Civic has some imperfections, but I'm not constantly looking at them.

16. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

seconded.jpeg

17. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

OCD and OCPD are two different things but lay people use them interchangeably ( anal retentive is actually closer to real OCPD)

OP you have whats called Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder ( only a doctor can truly diagnose it, but you show signs/symptoms of having it).

Here's a nutshell explanation I found online:

I keep saying we need an OCD subforum because
    a) they don't see they aren't normal
    b) Most of us aren't bothered so much with the things they come up with.

18. PurpleHeart macrumors member

If you had to have it exchanged 7 times...

It's not OCD ; it's a disease

Thanks to you I guess there are 7 refurb ipods sitting in the apple inventory

I guess people like me, who will let the little things go, and still have the same ipod video and the ipod touch (3rd gen) as I originally bought them, balance out people like you

I'm surprised that they exchanged it 7 times for you though ...

19. Moocher macrumors regular

"Never really got the answer I was looking for though. Do the new devices have the same defects I mentioned as the old ones?"

First, no one has detected significant differences between the early and later 4g Touches. Second, no one here thinks it would matter in your case. That's why everyone is focused on you rather than the iPods. The best advice you've had is to focus on what the Touch does instead of what it looks like. Use it instead of criticizing.

Moocher

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

So Apple has helped bring about a new mental disorder?