Need some Help here.. Snow Leopard, a GTX 285, Mac Pro 09 and World of Warcraft...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zepharus, Sep 10, 2009.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Ok Now I know something is up here, however I dont know what. I have an Early 2009 Mac Pro 2.66, 6GB , 300GB Velociraptor and a GTX 285. I stood in a very visually intensive area of Sholazar Basin and got 37 FPS @ 2560x1600 with everything at max.

I then changed ALL setting s to the LOWEST possible and resolution I took down to 1920x1200 .. guess what? SAME EXACT 37 FPS....

WTF is going on with my Mac Pro, WoW, the GTX 285 and Snow leopard?

To make sure I do not have a faulty card I went and installed CUDA and an app that forces the GTX 285 to run full speed 1.48Ghz... I got the exact same results...

IS this the Card? the drivers? Snow leopard?? This SAME card runs at 80+ FPS using Bootcamp in the same machine so Im leaning toward Snow Leopard or the drivers... Anyone? Thoughts? I want to ditch my windows Gaming box but this is frustrating me to no end! My preference is to game with WoW in OS X but I cannot like this..

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Pretty sure most games run faster in Windows than OS X because most game developers and GPU developers are aiming at DirectX, not OpenGL. (Though the PS3 does use OpenGL, but that's a different set of software). That said, I don't have too much to add, except that the 285's drivers are not fully mature yet and updates to both Snow Leopard and WoW are probably forthcoming, so you haven't reached your speed peak yet.

3. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Then this is a real shame that you drop 4 bills ona card that blows this badly in OS X

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Research is advisable, you know. These issues have been talked to death and back on this forum, other forums, and various articles (including benchmarks) about the 285 have been posted on Anandtech and Arstechnica, and Barefeats.

Technology should be researched, then purchased.