Need some help with the bible!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Orange Furball, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Hey everyone, I go to q Christian school and in bible class we talked about how deceitfulness was passed down from Abraham. Then the teacher did a survey, asking if you think lying is OK in certain situations or if it is bad all the time. Now this has expanded into a 5 v 5 person debate in front of the whole school. I chose the yes, it is OK to lie sometimes, side.

We need to present facts from the bible to win and have a party afterwards. I know the bible as well as the next guy, but I know there are some experts out there of the Christian Bible (we use the NKJV)

Can someone give me as many examples from the bible that states that lying is OK sometimes? I'm gonna make charts too, so if anyone has tips they would be appreciated. It may be filmed. If it is I'll post a link. We have 2 weeks to prepare. HELP!!!

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The winners get to party?

How would Jesus party?

4. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

As a product of Catholic education -- we did not use KJV. In a general sense, I can tell you that Jesus did not approve of bearing false witness (lying) and, obviously, it is one of the 10 Commandments. I don't recall any New Testament approval of lying. I would suggest you read through the Old Testament, as it approves of (and disapproves of) the most bizarre crap -- slaves, multiple wives, and on and on. I think a good place to begin would be when Moses was hidden as an infant. I guess that could be considered being devious.

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

While bearing false witness usually involves lying, lying is not always bearing false witness. "Are there any Jews hiding in your attic?" "No, of course not."

6. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I know- that's why I have "lying" in parenthesis and not "false witness". I was trying to simplify what it means in relation to the topic in case the OP didn't understand since he seems like a young student.

7. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

8. Huntn, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I realize you are looking for support from the Bible but...

Regarding lying, this question: "Is Bill ugly?" Let's say that Bill is physically ugly, but he has a great personality... What should the answer be? The point could be, should you shield people's feelings or be brutally honest? This is completely different from, "did you take $10 from my wallet?"

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well, I know in the jewish bible it's more "better" (forgive me I'm quite sleepy) to help someone by helping them help themself, instead of providing them with a handout.

If the less fortunate person met the more fortunate person, the more fortunate person may be doing a "good" thing by not revealing themself (hence being decietful, lying, etc).

10. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Long table and a dozen of his mates.

KGB:cool:

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Considering that the line in Exodus 20 says "... against thy neighbor ..." I think it should be pretty obvious that a lie that hurts no one ("No, mom, I am not doing what you think I am doing up here") is not proscribed.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

...Only if it's for "the good of the nation" ;)

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    There was a lie about a guy called Jesus being the son of a God. Some people have done charitable things on the back of that lie.

Probably the best known example of a lie there is.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well there's your problem. There's no such thing.

15. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

:D

Isnt the bible a lie?:confused:

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, it is Fiction, masquerading as Non-Fiction. :rolleyes:

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Batman is the most capable fictional character since Jesus.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Esther also hid her nationality.

19. Huntn, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I too was temped to say something along these lines, but then decided to give the OP a break. I don't believe his intent was to debate the factual nature of the Bible. If you can decipher between old and new testaments, there are some standards expressed in the Bible that a debate team could debate. Just don't call them facts. :)

Hmm? Do we know enough to call it a lie?

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

Bearing in mind the bible is a fictional book based on spoken word folk stories from desert tribes, yet is followed by millions upon millions of people spearheaded by a church which encourages lies to recruit and spread its message (http://www.evilbible.com/common_lies.htm). I think you've pretty much got your argument nailed by pointing out what your church school is teaching day to day is a total fallasy :D

----------

[​IMG]

Jesus died for your spins :(

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Please try to stay on topic and answer the OP's question/request. We already have plenty of other threads for discussing the believer/nonbeliever general topics.

B

22. Raid, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ok, I'm not wanting to troll an earnest discussion, but if you take the bible absolutely literally... you're going to have more conflict in the reading the story rather finding the 'truth' to the message.

If you want an example of lies, you may not have to go very far:
    Adam and Eve both lived, did God lie when He said that? If so what was His reason?

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

They did die. They no longer had eternal life. Not until Jesus came and died for their sins.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

They didn't die that day though (well literally) as the passage states. To each his own interpretation; and there in, lies the rub.

25. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Ok, for the ten commandments part, "bearing false witness" is not considered lying in the moderators eyes. So that discussion doesn't matter.

I'm setting up a poll, if you believe its OK in certain circumstances (like the nurses lying to the Pharaoh when they were killing babies) or of lying is bad all the time. Please note, if you leave a response that uses multiple biblical sources, please include the book and verse. I need some more examples please! Thanks everyone!