Need some info on in's and out's of buying off Craigslist.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pulsefusion, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Pulsefusion macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been recently contemplating getting a Macbook for school. I decided to look at some local online classifieds and found the following listings with Craigslist.

Apple Macbook Pro 15.4" 320GB 2.53GHz 4GB RAM MB471LL/A - $1100
    Apple Macbook Pro 15"LED 2.53GHZ 4GIG 320GIG - $1300

I’ve emailed both of them asking to arrange a meeting to look the laptops over and to get serial#. Is there anything else that I can do to protect myself or are deals like this totally unheard of and I should just walk away?

Thanks,
    Pulsefusion

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER, buy an item from Craigslist if you can't see it and pick it up locally.

4. Pulsefusion thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks guys. I'll see what kind of line he tries to feed me when and if he gets back to me.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll save you the trouble. The dude is in England and wants to ship it ASAP. He won't be back in the states for quite some time.

6. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Exactly Or he will send you $1700 and want you to send back the difference. Its a scam. And if im not mistaken, I have seen those exact two ads in the Los Angeles Area. There scams.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If they are local, meet in a public place and take a friend with you. Good luck, and keep us informed.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

biggest sign of a scam! ONLY buy from someone you can meet in person and inspect/test the goods.

9. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Point blank. Very simple.

If you think you are going to get something for $1,100 that sells for $2,400 ...

There is no such thing as a free lunch or a 50% off current model Powerbook.

This is nearly 5 years old now..

Makes for great reading, still.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/ The .. P-P-P-Powerbook.

10. johndavidwright macrumors member

i had a friend that fell for that scam off of craigs list. it was a macbook 2.16 1 GB for $400 and they were in england as well. told him the same thing and sent him a fake dhl shipping conformation. definitely dont fall for that. meet in person with craigs list cause they dont have fraud protection like ebay or anything else like that.

11. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

Stay away from the Craigs List Scammers

The England scammer is now using female names and is very polite/sweet in demeanor to snag people. She's so nice she must be ok. Yeah Right! If you cant meet, fire up the computer, check it out from top to bottom, and get a "reading" off the person trying to sell it to you (are they nervous, irritate easily, in a hurry) don't mess with it. I just played with these criminals in an attempt to get my new MBP......even had a live meet that was prob ok, but was 2 hrs from my home.....punted the whole thing and ordered from APPLE with no worries!

12. Pulsefusion thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah miraculously they both emailed me 2 minutes apart and both are at school in Milan, Italy. So yeah figured it was a scam but had to try. Thanks for all the input.

13. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

14. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

haha i hate stupid scammers craigslist needs to find a way tos top them

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Craigslist does suck as far as buying but it's a simple way to weed out the scams mainly what was posted here already. If you can't pick it up in person don't buy it.

I'm actually selling my macbook on craigslist now. For sellers same should apply. Only deal in person, cash, and make sure it is cash you are receiving.

Funny scammers from both sides though. On buying end selling end the person is always in a different country.

16. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

a good craigslist rule of thumb is if it sounds too good to be true. it definitely is.