Need some questions answered plz :D Thinking of buying iphone for T-mobile!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by I Tb I, Oct 30, 2007.

1. I Tb I macrumors newbie

Alright

I am thinking of buying an iphone from the Apple website or retail store and then "unlocking" to use t-mobile instead of AT&T.

Can it be still done or has Apple/AT&T done something to stop it?

What version is in the stores and what version can be unlocked?

What is the latest version if you upgrade?

Is it safe?

Does it void the warranty?

How?

How long does it take?

Any thing different when using T-mobile?

Any questions answered is appreciated
    and any other info you can give to help me anyway possible is appreciated.

Thank-You in advance.

2. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

It can still be done. I am using tmobile now

The procedure to unlock is totally dependent on the firmware preloaded on the iphone. Either 1.0.2 or 1.1.1 can be unlocked.

Of course it will void your warranty and will require you to hold off on all firmware updates until it is tested.

The only functionality lost with tmobile is visual voicemail.

3. I Tb I thread starter macrumors newbie

what are versions so far released? just 1.0.2 and 1.1.1? unlocked packages for both or all versions?

How to do it and how many different ways are there of doing it?

How long does it take?

If I mess up at any point or do anything wrong can I always restore it back to factory edition like the ipod?
    (I have heard of people who unlocked there iphones then upgraded to the lastest version and messed up their iphones so can they also restore their iphones?)

4. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Basically 1.0.2 and 1.1.1.

There are several methods, but the two most are iphonesimfree (paid) and the free one offered by the Dev team. The latter has several instruction sites that can walk you through what is required to execute and the apps. I used modmyiphone instructions.

it took me about 1/2 hour and I am not a hacker whatsoever. I just follow instructions.

You can always do a restore at any point during hacking attempts. It may get a little hairy when going from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1. I will do that this weekend and let you know of the results. Those people who bricked their phones didnt wait for the Dev team to safely update. There is still a method to get bricked phones to work again.

5. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

What are the limitations?
    Can you use the 5.99 data plan to use full access iphone features?

6. semperfimarine2 macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

7. cazlar macrumors 6502

Pretty much any phone you buy in the store now will be on 1.1.1

You've got 2 main ways to start up if you are on a Mac, independence and AppSnapp.

With the new AppSnapp (http://jailbreakme.com/), all you really need to do is take the phone out of the box, check the firmware (there's a phone code to do this), trick your way into safari (info on the above site), then go to AppSnapp on the phone. This will jailbreak your phone, install some stuff and reboot it. After that, you can install AnySIM via your new installer.app icon and go. I haven't used this but read the thread on this if you need more info.

Independence requires you to downgrade then re-upgrade in order to jailbreak. It will probably take longer, and might not be as foolproof, but does work (I did mine with this). I believe the new beta installs the Installer.app and AnySIM for you, so you can unlock straight away once you are able to get into the phone.

As mentioned above though, once you've unlocked never immediately install an Apple update until it's been verified to work.

8. I Tb I thread starter macrumors newbie

ty so mcuh guyz
    I have both a mac and windows so which porcess is the most simpliest and the least time consuming. srry horrible at spelling and i am at school and they use explorer and i have used to firefox and spellcheck.