Need someone who's very familiar with macs on PC networks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Loa, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Loa macrumors 68000

Loa

Hello,

The network at my work is exclusively made for PCs, with IT guys that are Mac racists. I can get on the network, access the servers and get on the internet.

I cannot, sadly, access the printers, that live on a Novell sub-network. The IT guys say that it's impossible for me to print (short of plugging my laptop in a printer through USB).

Is that true, or do I have some hope?

Thanks

Loa

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course, it's not true. By telling you that, they're either demonstrating their inability or unwillingness to make it work.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I hate it when the network admins don't want to take the time to help you. Helping people is supposed to be their job.

4. Loa thread starter macrumors 68000

Loa

Hello,

Thanks for your encouragement, but how do I do it on my own?

Loa

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would go pinging around to find the printers on the network. Chances are they are attached to Novell print queues but are capable of responding to a print job you send if you can "see" the printers from your Mac. Many printers have a web server on port 80. See if you can see the printer from a web browser. If you can, that's a good sign. We once had printers at my company that would print any document that was uploaded via ftp. It all depends on what lengths the IT guys have gone to.

Around here, information security and data spills are such a concern that some users must "log in" to the printer with a pin number just to get their printout or it's automatically deleted in 72 hours. If your company has that kind of paranoia, then I'm afraid your IT guys may have been telling you the truth and not simply blowing you off.

I tried pointing a web browser at one of our printers and got a login page. It doesn't surprise me one bit. However depending on the brand of printer your company uses, you might be able to figure out how to print once you know the ip address. Here is an example page I found around the web of a typical HP printer web page...
    [​IMG]

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Well, since the most anyone here knows about your network is that there are 2 printers on a novell net, we really can't help much. If the entire system is Novell, I doubt you will be successful without support from your IT dept as there is some server side stuff that has to be done.