Need Something Different in my iOS life.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Denzo, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Denzo macrumors member

Denzo

Hi guys,

I have an iPhone 5S.. which I love.

Other than a HTC ONE X, and a SGS2, I have had all iPhones since the 3GS.

TBH.. Im locked into Apple with the Apple TV, and my iMac and all the music I have bought on iTunes. BUT!!

After all these years, I know now Apple is the best, smoothest, reliable and easy to use phone. its simple and doesnt have widgets and rubbish you don't need (sorry, my androids were cool but they always felt a bit toy, and the Android App store had fake apps on it, and the apps were never as smooth or looked as good as the iOS version.)

But Im getting to the stage where I am sick of always being connected to data on my phone and never putting it down. I am always playing with it, on the bus, in bed, at dinner, when Im at a coffee.. its just ridiculous. I think I need to get a simple phone that I can just make calls and occasionally check the internet. I think the following might be that phone.

To be honest - I have thought about what phone I want - and I know this would be cool for a few people like me. Add your opinion down the bottom, maybe add your own idea? Are you over the fact that the only innovation from ALL brands is different size screens? I miss the Nokia days where we had flips, and bars, and sliders (OMG the 8800 Carbon Arte) - so much choice!! Nokia actually came out with some really out there designs and although not all of them took off - it was awesome to have so much creativity and risk. So whether they hit a home run with a phone like a E66, E71, 6100 or 8800, they also took risks with crazy phones like the 7280 (that was wild). Anyway enough with talk - my new awesome phone to change this "all screen" craze - which has lasted too long imo.

-The iFlip or iCell would be the name.
    -It would have a processor like the 5S or even just the iPhone 5.
    -It would have a smaller 3 inch but 720p screen.
    -It would flip like the old Motorola V - so it opens to about 135 - 145 degrees.
    -It would be thin (7.5mm closed).
    -It would be about 7 inch long when open.
    -When you open the phone - it would be have a black glass bottom that is touch screen with keys showing on it all the time.
    -It would be metal. And sexy.
    -It would have 4G and 1GB ram.

Now the kicker.

It would have a clicking mechanism - the would allow you to fully open the phone to 180 degree (completely flat) and it would click in place beautifully.

This would allow the 3 inch screen and what was the 3 inch keyboard to now become a 6 inch wide screen for watching videos playing games and looking at photos.

Seriously that would be amazing.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Self control would also be amazing. You can't blame the Apple hardware, you got to look at your own habits.

Humans can over come this.

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Go to walmart and get a lumia 520 for $50. Play with it for a few days. You'll feel better.

4. techspin macrumors 6502a

So you're sick of being addicted to using your phone because it works great? And your solution is a smartphone that flips open? How does that simplify anything?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

A magical phone to relieve boredom by being simple yet complex.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

When I get bored with my iPhone 5 I put it down and pick up my PowerBook G4. Oh wait, that's usually on my lap while I'm on my iPhone!

Hmmm…maybe my iBook, my other PowerBook G4, my PowerMac G4 and the iMac G5 I have over in the corner can help break the monotony…no wait I'll try the Mac Pro at work. No, no no. The two G4s sitting next to that, no, oh, crap, well I guess the three PCs sitting next to the Mac Pro?

Ah, never mind OP, can't help you!

7. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

so whats not to like about a 3.5 inch phone that folds out to 7 inchs. you'd have a tiny folding phone that flips open to an almost 7 inch tablet. I like it, I like it.:cool:

8. I7guy macrumors G5

When I get bored with my 5s, I put it down and pick up a <gasp> book or magazine and actually read print.

9. iBanker macrumors regular

10. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

You're in need of some self control if that's how you feel.

I'm on my phone all the time. If it isn't my phone, it's my ipad or iPod touch.
    I don't see the necessity to make a product that will limit your usability, when a phone is made for people to use it.

Other than that, what's the point of buying an iPhone?
    Use it and enjoy it. That's what it's made for.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm…well, my wife and I collectively own well over 500 books between us and we've read nearly all of them, some two or three times. So, I hear you. ;)

12. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Why in the h*ll would a flip phone need a 64 bit processor...

13. wxman2003 Suspended

Way too much free time. And way too much a first world problem.

14. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Yeah there was something like that! It was called the Kyocera Echo, or otherwise known as a huge FAIL in the smartphone world! Lol

15. Denzo thread starter macrumors member

Denzo

Dare I say, I have never heard of what you talk about. I am guessing you are right though - that it was a fail and it sucked really badly. If Apple did it though, I'm sure it would be awesome.

Surely (hopefully) iPhone won't just be a bar-type "all screen" phone for the next 7 Years. You gotta give Samsung something new to copy.

I look forward to a change. And whilst I acknowledge that iPhones are now quite different from the original 2G - I still reckon people would love to see something better than a screen that's a bit bigger. And I do to want a watch.

I reckon the idea I mentioned with the flip, would be phenomenal if done right.

----------

Job? One thing at a time buddy!!

16. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

OP, I understand what you're saying. All manufacturers these days are building phones as metal/plastic slabs with a rectangular screen. What's the next big user interface shift. Google is moving ahead with Google Now and Glass and Android Wear. They want to change the interface to voice input with intelligent search. Microsoft is using Metro and Live Tiles to limit how many apps you need to open. Even Blackberry is finally doing something and building a square phone with a keyboard to find some magic. Obviously Google is succeeding more than the others. Apple, however, still gives us rows and columns. I was hoping Siri was going to be that next step but frankly I only use it to set my alarm at night. Doing most everything else with it is more cumbersome than its worth. The best use case I can think of is to find info on the web and the Google app with Google Now does that the best. The question really is "Who's thinking about the next great user interface at Apple?" . The reality is you can tell me about all the great innovation over the last 8 years but my iphone 5 home screen looks exactly the same as the home screen on my wife's original iphone. Shouldn't there be a setting to display the most used apps on a screen? How about swiping left to get to control panel and notification center? There has to be more than rows and columns and folders?

17. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If you feel like you're using it too much, just get an inexpensive feature phone or a windows phone like the lumia 520.

But...I honestly don't see what's wrong with enjoying a device that you paid a lot of money for.

18. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

QUOTE:
    Originally Posted by ron7624
    so whats not to like about a 3.5 inch phone that folds out to 7 inchs. you'd have a tiny folding phone that flips open to an almost 7 inch tablet. I like it, I like it.

Maybe this kind of thinking is why I never made it to upper management :rolleyes:

19. cube macrumors G5

I think an inexpensive BB7 phone would be good for the OP.

20. Denzo thread starter macrumors member

Denzo

I actually took the time to look that up. Yuck! It looks like a Nintendo DS. Nothing like what I am imagining.

I don't want to have to break out the sketch board.

21. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

One problem is that dimensions don't work like that. It takes having 1 rectangle open into 4 rectangles to double the screen size in the dimension you are talking about, not 2.

22. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

23. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Haha my mom used to have one!! It was HORRID!! I guess it was the original phablet! Lol! It was, IMO, one of the biggest fails in the cell phone industry, bedsides the Motorola ROKR! Lol

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced