Need suggestions for mobile picture printing from iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmichalec, Oct 3, 2012.

1. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping I can query the expansive knowledge from the MacRumors forums members for some suggestions on a Mobile Printing solution.

Looking to take pictures while out and about for a job, using an iPhone 5 (or 4S), and have a printer located in a car, likely running off an inverter. Upon taking the pictures, I would like to then somehow print the pictures from the iPhone to the printer immediately either wirelessly (preferred) or via a wire (less preferred, but still acceptable) and have copies available before leaving the site.

Was looking at the Airprint compatible printers out there, but I think these require a wireless router in between the iPhone and Printer in order to wirelessly send pictures to the printer. Correct me if I'm wrong here?

Was also looking at just a generic photo printer that has a USB input port on the front of it, and then plugging in the iPhone via the Apple supplied USB cable directly to the USB port on the printer, but I'm not sure if the printer would recognize the iPhone as a hard drive, like it would a USB stick. I know when plugging in the iPhone to a computer, it comes up as a hard drive, and you can select the pictures. What about if you plus it into a printer?

Any thoughts/suggestions on the ideas above? Any other suggestions that I haven't thought of that someone could suggest? Thanks in advance!

2. rockgalmusic macrumors newbie

mobile printing solution?

hi there, am not sure about the USB to iphone as that is something i haven't tried before, no doubt somebody in the know regarding that will hopefully respond :)
    regarding the mobile printing solution whilst you are out and about, i have a friend who is an estate agent and he has a rj4040 brother mobile printer and a printing app called print n share
    i only know about it because friend was raving about it the other night!

have found a link too:
    http://applenewsgator.com/2012/06/20/make-portable-printing-easier-with-print-n-share-and-the-brother-rj-4040/

3. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Airprint requires a router. There are HP printers which allow for direct wireless printing without a router, the technology is called HP Wireless Direct.

4. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Rockgalmusic. Does your friend print pictures, or just documents? The Brother printer in question appears to be more tailored to printing documents, reciepts, etc. In fact, it doesn't mention anything about the ability to print pictures from what I'm reading on Brothers' website.