need the opinion of some of you knowledgable folk about ugrading a pre-unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -greedy-, Feb 10, 2011.

1. -greedy-, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

-greedy- macrumors newbie

For the last couple months ive been planning on getting whatever i can for my macbook pro 4,1 on kijiji and purchasing the next refresh. however, i recently got my mbp back after being sent out due to the screen fading. it now has a brand new top case/ screen and looks pretty much brand new.

i'm now starting to consider just upgrading this mac and keeping at around for another year or so. i do alot of graphic design work mostly using photoshop/illustrator. i don't really use anything else more taxing than that. the mbp tackles my work pretty good for the most part but when opening a really large file i will beachball, and using some of the more advanced filters and features make photoshop hangup for 20 seconds or so. my question is if i were to upgrade the RAM from 4GB to 6, would this make a difference for photoshop work? I also would get an SSD as soon as they drop in price.

basically, for doing photoshop/design work would upgrading from 4GB to 6GB RAM and adding an SSD eventually be a big performance booster for my macbook pro 4,1?

also, would moving from a core 2 duo to a sandy bridge processor make a big difference for photoshop design work?

2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

i would not spend the money on upgrading that computer it has the 8600 gt that is known to fail randomly. It also has a sata I controller so a ssd will not be used to its max potential. The 1X4 gb ram module that you need is close to the price of 2X4 gb for the newer mbps.

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Agreed.
    You would be better putting the money towards a new MBP.
    Refresh due fairly soon so you might find some good deals on the mid 2010 models soon.