Need to be primary account holder of wireless carrier account to sign up for Apple Upgrade Program?

Luba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I like the Apple Upgrade Program, but you need to logon into your wireless account when you sign up!?! Do you need to be the primary account holder of the wireless account?

Why is Apple requiring us to sign into a wireless account? So that we can’t buy the Verizon model which is better (it has more bands) and force us to buy the AT&T model if we are on AT&T?

Why is Apple even making two versions of the iPhone? Seems like it would streamline production if Apple only needed to make one version.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Why is Apple even making two versions of the iPhone? Seems like it would streamline production if Apple only needed to make one version.
Because Apple is giving the consumer choices, that's why. Why would they only make only one model? There's no logic behind that. Offering more models and storage, offers different options for everybody. Not everybody's going to purchase the same phone based on what they need for storage and affordability.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I like the Apple Upgrade Program, but you need to logon into your wireless account when you sign up!?! Do you need to be the primary account holder of the wireless account?

Why is Apple requiring us to sign into a wireless account? So that we can’t buy the Verizon model which is better (it has more bands) and force us to buy the AT&T model if we are on AT&T?

If you don't like how things are set up...tough.

There's nothing you can do and complaining will get you nowhere.

sdwaltz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
You needn’t be the primary account holder, but you do need to be granted authorization to make changes to the account, which is authorized by the primary account holder. Buying a phone is considered to be making a change to the account.

Additionally, you could just get the username and password from the primary account holder. Apple requires the account information so they can verify you’re an ATT/Verizon/T Mobile/whoever else account holder.

Luba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Because Apple is giving the consumer choices, that's why. Why would they only make only one model? There's no logic behind that. Offering more models and storage, offers different options for everybody. Not everybody's going to purchase the same phone based on what they need for storage and affordability.
I'm not talking about different storage (64GB vs. 256 Gb) versions, I'm talking about the so-called AT&T model vs the so-called Verizon model. The "Verizon" model has all the cellular bands that the "AT&T" model has, plus about 3 more for their cellular network type (CDMA), which is used in the US, Japan, and a few other countries. I would think for Apple it would typically be better for them to make just one model, but there must be something else going on. Perhaps, the wireless companies are forcing their hand in some way for reasons I don't know. Or perhaps it's much more expensive for Apple to make the "Verizon" model because of licensing fees, so they want to limit the "Verizon" model to only Verizon/Sprint customers.

I believe one reason the Apple Update Program requires us to logon into our wireless account, is to restrict which model we can buy.
[doublepost=1508622764][/doublepost]
If you don't like how things are set up...tough.

There's nothing you can do and complaining will get you nowhere.
Aren't you wonderful to have a discussion. It may have sounded like it, but it wasn't a rhetorical complaining question.
[doublepost=1508623225][/doublepost]
You needn’t be the primary account holder, but you do need to be granted authorization to make changes to the account, which is authorized by the primary account holder. Buying a phone is considered to be making a change to the account.

Additionally, you could just get the username and password from the primary account holder. Apple requires the account information so they can verify you’re an ATT/Verizon/T Mobile/whoever else account holder.
Hmmm, could be about getting authorization to make changes to the account. But then, I could bring a phone to my wireless carrier after I buy it and get the authorization later. I'm not already in the Apple Update Program, so all this checking and signing-in being required, will take up very valuable time on Oct 27th.